Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest CrotonFalls33

Pages Forwarded to Nextel??

17 posts in this topic

I've learn different stories here and there so maybe some one can clear this one up... Ive heard the if Nextel is contacted.. They can have pages forwarded from 60-Control to your cell phone... Anyone use this?? Does it work?

The Elmont Fire Department in Nassau County has this system set up. However, they dispatch themselves. It's actually pretty cool.

It's a system called I-page. Each Dept in the county has a certain number of members set up with 60 control. You need to talk to the Chief to get set up with it

The I-page sent from 60 Control is only a secondary means of alarm notification. Each agency DISPATCHED by them can utilize this service, and it is limited to only a certain number of users. Persons interested should contact their Chief. Also, it isn't just limited to Nextels, go to the DES website for further info. Those of us in the archaic times that still get dispatched by our PD are unable to get this service.

It is a great service, you get the page on your phone with the location and cross streets and type of alarm. Your dept is allowed up 35 members to get this and you can find all the info on the county web set under I-page. You just have to pay for the text messages if your plan doesn't include it for free

I like the I page over Nextel because in some area like if you were away from town you will still get the call I was notified by a call when i was in Lake Placid so the text messages works. If You forgot your pager or dont have it next to you you will be notified. The only thing i don't like about the Ipage is that it only goes off if you have a crew responding to the scene like an ambluance if you go mutual aid you will not get the page and when the page hit you are in middle of patitent care and here comes the 3 text messages.

Nice sometimes, but horrible other times. It will only say STRU for any type of fire near or in a structure and stuff like that.

The 45-Medic's use it in Northern Westchester. Great for when you cant remember the house number.

PITA when it goes off and won't shut up and you don't have the ability to key the nextel to silence it. But yes, good for rapid recall of information....unless the person before you never cleared that previous jobs and you have 20 messages to wade through. ](*,)

PITA when it goes off and won't shut up and you don't have the ability to key the nextel to silence it. But yes, good for rapid recall of information....unless the person before you never cleared that previous jobs and you have 20 messages to wade through.  ](*,)

1st You can shut the volume off for the pages.

2nd I usually find 20 Messages on the phone Wed. afternoon, You can delete them all at once, thats what I do, then I delete each job when I finish them.

Its just too bad the pages don't come faster. It'd be nice to not have to carry the pager and just use the Nextel

That maybe ok for you but the 45medic's only get the jobs they are assigned to on the nextel not the other medic's. The pager go off for all the medic's so you know if one and or two are out and you have to relocate.

Also if you are in a cell phone "dead" area you might not get the page until you are back in a service area. Sometimes at work I will get new pages from hours or days ago. Whatever your problems with the Fire/EMS pagers they work better than the nextel pages.

Sounds real good.. I spoke to my chief and was told he was going to try to set it up... Each department is only allowed 35 or so slots.. Is it true about the service costing a flat rate of $7?

One other drawback is you have to have text messaging plan, i know with nextel or your bill will skyrocket! Each call gets 2 pages because there is so much infomation from dispatch. Personally I like it. Sometimes it messages me 30 seconds after the pager goes off sometimes it may take 30 mins. Many others will have a different opinion with this sytem.

I actually prefer it to the FD pager. I find it much more reliable. I have my pager at work in hawthorne and the Nextel will bleep and give me a text message BUT as in many other locations the pager just keeps quiet.

The I-Page definatley has its pro's & con's, like anything else. As many of you have said, you will sometimes receieve a page much later than you should. I've gone on calls, returned to the firehouse & completed paperwork when the I-Pages have come over. I NEVER rely 100% on the I-Page system. A nice secondary alert device, but not 100% reliable at all. Someone said that they receive 2 pages for EVERY call, but i haven't seen this too much. I've only received 2 pages for EMS calls because they include EVERYTHING (i.e. nature, sex, age, location). Also, if there is a decent size working fire with re-locations and such you may get more than one text page. But as Irishfirefighter said, as with normal text-pages, you will receive the I-Pages almost anywhere! A bunch of our guys were down in Ocala, Florida checking on the process of our E-One Utilty & they got the I-Pages for a structure fire in Montrose at about 3:30am (we went m/a w/E161 & U12)! The downside is that if you are in a dead-zone, you obviously will not receive the I-Page until you regain service on your phone.