Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PFDRes47cue

Grandmother Kills 17 Year Old Grandson

9 posts in this topic

BLOOMFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. -- A 74-year-old Michigan grandmother was charged with shooting dead her 17-year-old grandson as he made a frantic call to 911.
Police said that when they arrived at her home in Bloomfield Township, she answered the door still holding the weapon and told officers she had just "murdered her grandson."

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/18580452/michigan-teenager-made-frantic-911-call-as-he-was-shot-dead-by-his-grandmother?obref=obinsite

Disturbing...

So disgraceful that these types of people have guns in their possession. This probably happened over the stupidest little thing, like the kid not doing his school work or going to bed on time.. I have heard many stories like that.

R.I.P.

So disgraceful that these types of people have guns in their possession. This probably happened over the stupidest little thing, like the kid not doing his school work or going to bed on time.. I have heard many stories like that.

R.I.P.

Or the kid dealing drugs out of her house. Not saying that justifies the shooting, but she managed to raise 5 kids without shooting them. I'm willing to bet it was a lot more than homework.

helicopper and x129K like this

Or the kid dealing drugs out of her house. Not saying that justifies the shooting, but she managed to raise 5 kids without shooting them. I'm willing to bet it was a lot more than homework.

Either way, not justified. The reason behind the murder is not important. Does a kid dealing drugs out of a house justify murder? No....

Actually the reason is extremely important. As a society we've long established mitigating circumstances and intent are pertinent. Clearly the act of dealing drugs is not justification for shooting someone. Its a big difference if she bought that gun to kill him and was lying in wait or if she had the gun, reached her wits end and snapped. The result is the same but the penalty is going to be much different.

Actually the reason is extremely important. As a society we've long established mitigating circumstances and intent are pertinent. Clearly the act of dealing drugs is not justification for shooting someone. Its a big difference if she bought that gun to kill him and was lying in wait or if she had the gun, reached her wits end and snapped. The result is the same but the penalty is going to be much different.

What would be the penalty if she purchased the gun to kill him? Why would the penalty be if she snapped and killed him?

You could argue that buy purchasing the gun she showed intent to cause serious physical injury or death and charge murder or manslaughter. If she already had ownership of the gun, the charges maybe the same, but a good defense attorney could make a strong case for mental defect or disease.

ny10570 and antiquefirelt like this

If I understand the NYS penal code, the difference is a class A vs a class B or C felony. Thats life imprisonment vs a term not to exceed 25 or 15 years. Then there are the other charges. Illegal use of a firearm is very different than obtaining a firearm for the commission of a crime.

In her case that's not much of a difference, but in you or me sentenced to 15, but out in 7 is a bit better than life without.

Edited by ny10570

I think any jail sentance would be considered life to her.