Fire Resumes

5 posts in this topic

Recently, I was told that it would be a good idea to fax or mail a resume listing all fire classes, especially the NYS 229 academy equivilant, to any fire department which you are on the list for. What is everyones take on this? I'm sure some departments would like to see the 229, but others may see it as being too pushy?

Recently, I was told that it would be a good idea to fax or mail a resume listing all fire classes, especially the NYS 229 academy equivilant, to any fire department which you are on the list for. What is everyones take on this? I'm sure some departments would like to see the 229, but others may see it as being too pushy?

It really depends on the department. Some departments might use it to show you are dedicated to do the work, others could care less. I know a number of departments that would rather not have to "retrain" a new recruit and all your training may indicate to them that you were not trained "their way".

What is the NYS 229 academy "equivilant"? Do you mean you have taken all the classes that are listed in the 229? If so DO NOT SEND. Since 1986 many of the 229 academies are 600 plus hours. Also, taking all the classes one at a time and adding them up is not the same training as taking them as one course.

If you are reachable on the list they will call you and request you bring a resume.

I know as an application/resume reviewer that we rarely look through any certificates unless we're looking to validate those things on your resume, such as FF1/2, Fire Instructor, HM Tech, EMS License level. I have known one City Manager who said he liked all the certificates, but he also had no clue what they meant and would move applicants higher on his pile based on the thickness of these certificates, regardless of what they were. They can show you're committed to the fire service, but a decent resume can tell 99% of what we who to see in interviews on one page. Of course this is merely my experience in hiring in a small system.

Go look at all the lists you are on, if you are reachable on the list and meet the requirements it would not be a bad idea to send a cover letter to the chief detailing why you want the position, what you are looking for in the position, what you have done to earn the position, and what you will offer the department. Also include a resume and a list of your classes (no certificates), do not list anything about them being 229 unless you have actually attended an academy. The chief will know what is and what isn't pertinent to their department. Do not just blindly send a resume or a list of classes. Always send a cover letter and make it personal. As I said unless you have scored well and have a chance of being canvassed soon don't bother. By the time they get around to you, if you have a low score your resume will likely be forgotten about or in the garbage. Never fax a resume or cover letter unless it is specifically requested, always drop off in person or mail it in a full size envelope.

Edited by Porsha911gt3

NYS and municipal Civil Service offices do not care. Just do well on the test and where they conduct one, the interview.