Sailr322

The Airport Where Trouble Lands

4 posts in this topic

http://live.wsj.com/video/the-airport-where-trouble-lands/3E42C033-A171-4CA1-BE8E-E3DB90D7411E.html?mod=wsj_hpp_tboright#!3E42C033-A171-4CA1-BE8E-E3DB90D7411E

Interesting piece by The Wall Street Journal about Bangor, Maine's "International Airport". Is there something that other airports around the nation are able to learn from then level of preparedness that this "local" airport has?

Interesting, that not one mention of the Fire/Emergency prepardeness. Is the Airport fire service "beefed up" in anyway to accomodate for the 100 or so emergency diverted flights?

Edited by craigs71

Interesting, that not one mention of the Fire/Emergency prepardeness. Is the Airport fire service "beefed up" in anyway to accomodate for the 100 or so emergency diverted flights?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304441404577478603178669654.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_editorsPicks_2

This is more of the article. They offer some more information in here, including the firefighting equipment they keep on hand.

A couple of our call guys used to work at Bangor ANG FD,who staff the airport fulltime, not the City of Bangor FD. I know I've never heard they had any more equipment or training for the diversionary flights, but we've bounced the idea around the table when the news reports these incidents and figured they have a very limited number of flights in/out for an International airport so shutting the whole airport down is not nearly as big a deal as some/most/all of the larger places south of them? The airport is also co-located with the Air Guard base and I think from time to time (more often than most knew) many Spec Op units flew in and out of here to do SERE training in the northwoods, though with Brunswick NAS closed this likely changed.

I know fair amount of guys at the City FD and will ask the next time I see any of them or a member of the BANG FD.