voltage1256

What's under your cab? Cummins vs. Detroit

8 posts in this topic

Just wanted to see a discussion on why go with one rather than the other? I can't seem to see if Detroit even supplies for Fire Apparatus anymore...

We've been speccing Cummins for the last two major apparatus purchases. The only real reason is that one of our call members is a retired Cummins Diesel Mechanic trainer, thus he knows the engines inside and out. He also provides a direct conduit to many "insiders" so that any question doesn't long for an answer. Having no other preferences (service for either is the same distance away) this seemed like a good idea. So far it's paid off, though it means nothing to anyone outside our FD.

I think you need Kool Aid if you want a Detroit

x4093k likes this

Our engine 119 has a Detriot in it, but our new T 10 has a Cummins.... just from the test drive of the tanker at the plant, I like the Cummins better... But once we have it in house I will be able to comment more... I think in the end, it will be like some like Fords, some like Chevy.

Operated many trucks with Detroits and Cummins. I prefer Detroit but both are good engines.

Now if Waukesha started making engines for fire trucks again..........

x4093k likes this

From what I've read and heard now I guess Detroit has decided to leave supplying apparatus with engines due to the zero emissions requirements. I guess that just leaves Cummins and CAT but I haven't heard anything good about CAT's being thrown in emergency vehicles, supposedly they run into problems as they were built more for highway trucking than stop and go, pumping etc...

x4093k likes this

Navistar is really pushing their MaxxForce engine now I see with the adds in various trade mags.