Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

18th Annual NYC Fleet Week May 25th- June 1st

5 posts in this topic

From Intrepid Museum website:

New York City's 18th Annual Fleet Week May 25th through June 1st, 2005

City Will Honor Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines and Coast Guard Personnel, Ships, Events and Demonstrations Open to Public

New York, NY - In honor of the men and women who serve in the United States military and their families, the Intrepid Sea Air Space Museum announce its participation in and co-hosting of New York City’s 18th Annual Fleet Week celebration May 25th to June 1st. Many of the exciting Fleet Week activities that have become synonymous with the event will be staged at the Intrepid Sea Air Space Museum on 12th Avenue & West 46th Street, with others scheduled throughout the five boroughs of New York.

In partnership with New York City, the United States Navy and the Intrepid Sea Air Space Museum, over a dozen Navy and Coast Guard ships will visit New York Harbor during Fleet Week. In addition, there will be military demonstrations, athletic competitions and many other exciting activities over the course of the seven-day celebration.

One highlight of the week’s activities is the Memorial Day ceremony held on the flight deck of the Intrepid Sea Air Space Museum. Veterans and active military personnel from all five branches of the armed services join in the museum’s tribute to the men and women who have made the supreme sacrifice for their country. The ceremony includes the playing of Taps, a ceremonial wreath laying, 21-gun salute, the unfurling of a 100 foot American flag and a fly-over of military aircraft in the missing man formation.

Fleet Week event favorites include the Parade of Ships, stem to stern relay race and tug-of-war crew competitions, live demonstrations of military skills, and the Best Chow Competition.

The Intrepid Sea Air Space Museum is proud to participate in New York City’s 18th Annual Fleet Week and to continue its mission to “honor our heroes, educate the public and to inspire our youth.”

I'd love to go to this....I wonder where/when is a good place to get photos....

The day the ships come in, the park under the Verrazano Bridge or Battery Park are usually good spots. They do not come up past the Intrepid, but the fly-overs can go all the way to West Point.

I heard that when they are coming in you can see them good from the NJ side right on the water, because they are not to close and not too far away

perfect for pictures

I just got back from this event and it was awesome I suggest that anyone that has any free time go down there and sees it the JFK is open for tours from 12 to about 3 then they shut off. It was well worth the wait and trip