Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ny10570

MetroNorth to try smartphone tickets

5 posts in this topic

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2012/07/11/metro-north-to-test-smartphone-based-paperless-tickets/

Looks like MetroNorth is leading the way with the latest ticketing innovation. Anyone that has tried to purchase a peak ticket at a busy station while rushing to catch a train can attest to the pains of waiting for someone to try and force some crusty bottom of your shoe bill into a machine while you frantically wait. I'm looking forward to this.

batt. 12 likes this

I can see this having potential shortfalls (scams). If I get on a train from any given station and the conductor doesn't get me until the next fare zone, then I can punch up a cheaper ticket.

I've been on trains where the conductor never made it to me to take my ticket. Also, people can scam now by buying a ticket for ludlow and staying on until croton.

Wait till someone is coming home at 2am with a dead cellphone and needs to produce a ticket. Or your phone breaks or malfunctions or is lost and you have to wait for that replacement in the mail that will come in 2 days. There goes your monthly ticket stuck in cyberspace. Can't wait to see the fix for this.