Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Major City Still Rides Tailboards

6 posts in this topic

Apparently, Firefighters in Pittsburgh still ride the tailboards. Can I safely say this practice is obsolete in Westchester now?

Firefighter's Injury Raises Questions about Truck Safety  

Feb 2, 2004 11:55 pm US/Eastern  

Pittsburgh (KDKA) An accident that sent a Pittsburgh firefighter flying off the back of a pumper truck on the way to a call has raised some questions about the safety of some city fire trucks.  

The firefighter from Engine Company 23 went flying off the truck on the way to a call when the metal pole that he was strapped to snapped off in his hands.  

"We were all in shock... There was one of my men in the middle of the street-- about 100 feet back from the pumper...on his knees... still strapped to the bar!" -- Capt. David Lewis, Pittsburgh Firefighter  

"I've never seen it happen before and I've been with the city 28 years. This is a first." -- Mike Lewis, Pgh Vehicle Maintenance  

Pittsburgh Fire Captain David Lewis was driving the rig at the time. He says he and his crew were in shock when they realized what happened.  

"There was one of my men in the middle of the street about 100 feet back from the pumper," explains Capt. Lewis. "Here he is on his knees. He's still strapped to the bar --and he's holding the bar... with the red light on -- and he says, 'The belt worked!'"  

KD Investigator Marty Griffin has learned that some city firefighters are calling the trucks a risk to their safety -- and there's talk that firefighters may refuse to ride on the back of them.  

Firefighters tell KDKA that the problem is the truck itself: it's 20-years old and requires firefighters to stand on the back -- a practice they say no other major city allows anymore.  

In fact, the city has seven of these trucks -- which firefighters say belong in a museum, not on the streets.  

"Here we are putting our lives on the line every day -- and we have to worry about going to the fire before we get to it." -- Capt. David Lewis, Pittsburgh Firefighter  

Firefighters say they don't want to get back on another tailboard truck until someone figures out just what happened.  

In the meantime, the city has launched a full-scale investigation into the accident in which metallurgists and safety experts from the city and fire department will try to figure out just what went wrong.  

Meanwhile, a spokesman for the city says that while they know the trucks are old, they just cant afford to take them off the streets right now.  

Katonah has been off the back step now for years and years and years......

About 8 years ago I rode the back step of Price Georges County MD Truck 12. This truck was a convertable Pirsch (I think) with only a 4 man cab so two men rode the step. However I believe that it is actually against the law today.

...the city has launched a full-scale investigation into the accident in which metallurgists and safety experts from the city and fire department will try to figure out just what went wrong.

I doesn't take rocket science to figure this one out. :roll:

Doesn't NFPA say this practice is inappropriate? We stopped riding the tailboards over a decade ago. In the mid-90's, we discontinued the practice of riding on top of the rigs in the hosebeds as well. It was a good decision, and it was the right decision. Hopefully, someone can shed some light on the NFPA standards for this.....

The 1991 edition of NFPA 1901 was when NFPA first called for the fully enclosed riding area. Additionally, NFPA 1901's 1991 addition stated that the fully enclosed riding areas maintain reduced noise (dba) levels to keep the crew members safe, warm (or cool) and informed as to what is happening, seat belts and seats for all crew members riding on the apparatus, fail safe door handles so the sleeve of a coat will not inadvertently catch a handle and open a door, and signs requiring everyone to be seated and belted.

Fire departments are not required to upgrade equiptment to meet current standards. If that were the case we'd all be scurrying to upgrade our rigs to the new 2003 edition. However, there is a schedule in the 2003 edition that has time frame recomendations for upgrades and replacements.

With that said, we know the engine was more than 15 years old. With a 15 year old engine in a reasonably busy city, what else is wrong with it?