JJB531

Field "Misdiagnosis" Leads to Lawsuit

10 posts in this topic

It seems that the article has holes in it as the story does not seem to flow. While no one should die unnecessarily, it appears that he continued his lecture series, consulted with his son and must have signed an RMA. Aside from the medic and his partner the only other witness with first hand knowledge won't be providing a deposition. One would wonder how he presented these symptoms, was he determined to take that flight and not go to the ER, did he call EMS or was it the friend he canceled dinner with, what was the son's advise when he spoke to him - go to the ER or suck it up. I would love to hear the full story and will reserve my opinions till I hear more.

I wonder what the PCR and RMA says.

That will be the key factor in whether or not the medic gets jammed on this. We've all been with patients that should go to the hospital and refuse despite our efforts to convince them. Documentation is everything here. Did the medic paint a picture of an informed and competent patient refusing treatment and transport?

PEMO3 likes this

This should probably read alleged field misdiagnosis. Curious to see what his 12 lead looked like, or if they even did a 12. Likewise, I'm curious to know how the conversation with the telemetry doc went.

Personally, i try to go out of the way and explain that my diagnostic capabilities are limited in the field and a cardiology consult and lab work are going to definitively determine if a cardiac event occurred or not.

Edited by Goose

This should probably read alleged field misdiagnosis. Curious to see what his 12 lead looked like, or if they even did a 12. Likewise, I'm curious to know how the conversation with the telemetry doc went.

Personally, i try to go out of the way and explain that my diagnostic capabilities are limited in the field and a cardiology consult and lab work are going to definitively determine if a cardiac event occurred or not.

That is the best way to go about it. Whenever I have a patient who wants to RMA I go to great lengths to explain to them that only so much can be done in the field. As mentioned though it's going to come down to the PCR, although I'm sure the two medics are already sitting on the couch :\

x4093k likes this

The article never said RMA, so I am not sure. Could he have been turfed to BLS and died in an ED? It never gave a date of occurance, so if it is getting to court now, it may be years oldr and the lawyer is just trying to get some free ink. Not that the date is a defence- bad medicine doesn't heal with time.

The article never said RMA, so I am not sure. Could he have been turfed to BLS and died in an ED? It never gave a date of occurance, so if it is getting to court now, it may be years oldr and the lawyer is just trying to get some free ink. Not that the date is a defence- bad medicine doesn't heal with time.

The job was probably sent out as a cardiac in which an ALS unit would have been sent. Unless it was an arrest, which this doesn't seem to be, BLS probably wouldn't be there. A refusal sounds like what probably occurred.

Lots of information missing here. I would hope that the EMS crew did what they were supposed too.

Speculation - I bet the "rib pain" & "get some sleep before your flight" was what the guy told his son so he would not worry. The guy probably didn't want to stay in NY another night and figured he would go home & see his own doctor.

Lots of information missing here. I would hope that the EMS crew did what they were supposed too.

Speculation - I bet the "rib pain" & "get some sleep before your flight" was what the guy told his son so he would not worry. The guy probably didn't want to stay in NY another night and figured he would go home & see his own doctor.

Probably the case, but its still up to the crew to take the RMA through the doctor working the telemetry desk, so (heaven forbid) something like this happens, you still have a chair when the music stops.

Hopefully whatever investigation that is in progress concludes quickly and if the crew did the right thing (like I hope they did) they can get back on the streets. Any restriction is nerve wracking.

JetPhoto likes this

This topic and incident highlights why our department just changed our "sign off" documentation and training to better ensure the patient is properly advised of the dangers of refusing care/treatment and our people and service are better protected from lawsuits.