Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Mountain Creek Water Park Accident

7 posts in this topic

Reported Water Ride accident yesterday at Mountain Creek Water Park in Vernon, New Jersey (the site of the former ACTION PARK [aka "TRACTION PARK"])

Very interesting point is that this season is the FIRST season that the Mountain Creek Water Park is under ownership and management of Eugene Mulvihill, the former owner of ACTION PARK (Traction Park). During the years prior to this, when the Water Park was under the ownership of Interwest Corporation out of Canada, there were no reported accidents (unlike the years prior to the opening of the Water Park as "Mountain Creek Water Park" when it was known by many in the Tri-State Area as "ACTION PARK" where people were carted off to local hospitals regularly, due to ride accidents, as well as a couple of deaths reported at the park.

Would you let your child go to Mountain Creek this year, knowing who owns the park and the history that this "Owner" has with issues reported at "His Park" ???????

http://www.nbcnewyor...-163768696.html

http://www.nj.com/ne...tal_in_sus.html

Wikipedia Article on ACTION PARK

Factors contributing to the park's safety record

A range of factors contributed to accidents at the park, from the design and construction of the rides themselves to the makeup of both visitors and staff, and infamously lax government oversight.

Ride design

Action Park and its defenders often pointed out that it was one of the first water parks in the nation and thus pioneered ideas that were later widely copied. This meant that visitors were using rides that had not been tested through practical use for very long. Ride designers may have had insufficient training in physics or engineering. "They seemed to build rides," one attendee recalls, "not knowing how they would work, and [then let] people on them."[18]

GAR, as its legal troubles would suggest, has been accused of cutting corners to maximize its profits. For example, it was accused of building rides cheaply, sporadically maintaining many of them, and failing to renovate rides to take advantage of later safety improvements to its ideas made by other facilities. These practices may have taken place in a range of its operations, including customer safety (in the park's last year, it kept part of the ski area open despite being unable to obtain liability insurance).

Edited by xfirefighter484x
Partial Article Removed - Link Posted With This Info
x4093k likes this

The key words there are no "reported" injuries. I know of at least two incidents this summer involving staff members who got caught up in the lifts for the inflatable tubes and got lifted 20' in the air, and one of them fell off the lift 15' up.

The key words there are no "reported" injuries. I know of at least two incidents this summer involving staff members who got caught up in the lifts for the inflatable tubes and got lifted 20' in the air, and one of them fell off the lift 15' up.

You are probably correct. As you indicated, you personally know of at least 2 incidents "this summer" (Mulvihill Ownership) that may not have been reported. Interesting,

(Quote)Action Park made adults of a generation of Tri-State Area kids who strolled through its blood-stained gates, by teaching us the truth about life: it is not safe, you will get hurt a lot, and you'll ride all the way home burnt beyond belief(Quote)

(Quote) Action Park was a true rite of passage for any New Jerseyan of my generation. When I get to talking about it with other Jerseyans, we share stories as if we are veterans who served in combat together. I suspect that many of us may have come closest to death on some of those rides up in Vernon Valley. I consider it a true shame that future generations will never know the terror of proving their grit at New Jersey's most dangerous amusement park. (Quote)

Or kid from Lake Carmel. Truer words have never been spoken.

I remember seeing guys walking around the park with serious road rash after they bailed on the alpine slide with no shirt on. How about how cold the spring fed water was on the tarzan swing? I can recall the lifeguards pulling several people out of the water because they almost went into shock when they hit the water. Then there was the death and destruction I saw at Vernon Valley Great Gorge.......memories

x4093k likes this

Not at all, dude. This is what we did. And if you were a teenager in those years like, I and many others were, you would have worn surviving a day at Action Park like a badge of honor. Or you could wear your scars the same way. That spring water was freaking COLD!!! The only words I can use are able to cut glass. Nuff said.

Edited by JBE
SageVigiles likes this