Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageVigiles

NY State and ProBoard Certifications

5 posts in this topic

I was browsing the ProBoard website since I'm waiting for my Fire 2 Cert to be posted and I was looking at the page for Accredited Agencies.

http://www.theproboa...ies/newyork.htm

Currently New York OFPC is eligible to certify the following:

Firefight

Airport Firefighter

Rescue Technician

Fire Officer

Fire Inspector

Fire Investigator

Public Fire Educator

Fire Instructor

HAZMAT

FD Safety Officer

Those get broken down into levels on the page, I'm not going to list them all. Do most agencies in NY certify to ProBoard, or just certain ones? I know in CT its not technically "required" by law, but its the generally accepted standard and I can't name too many departments that don't.

Just curious.

Edited by SageVigiles

I know that when I take classes in Westchester you get a NYS certificate. Every once in awhile the county offers the national exams to test for firefighter 1 & 2... When I took my Fire Insteuctor class at the state fire academy I took the "national"/ pro board test along with my NYS final exam. I know that they have restructured the officer classes to fall more in line with the national standards which I think is a good thing, and hopefully a move to national standards. I really wish that they would offer the national tests more frequently in Westchester. Hope that helps!!

x4093k likes this

It's not required by law in New York. The New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control administers the testing for National "Pro Board" Certification. They offer testing at the state fire academy or on an outreach need basis. It is up to the individual after completing all the requirements for a particular Pro Board Certification, to apply for and take the test. After taken any New York State fire training course, the individual either will receive a certificate of attendance or a certificate of completion, the certificate of completion indicates you passed all the required testing and are New York State Certified in that course.

Why don't they offer it at the end of every class? Is it a cost issue?

To the best of my knowledge, Nat. Cert testing is offered (for those classes that qualify) at the FIre Academy at the end of classes - when I took my Instructor 2 class, all I did was pay the extra $25- for the National 'test'...which was the same as the final - so there was only 1 test taken. I was also able to apply for and take the Level 1 National test (it wasn't available when I took the original class).....

OFPC does have personnel who proctor some of the exams, and also have the test banks and equipment to score the tests - there are National Cert weekends held at the Fire Academy, along with other tests held around the state at different times.

If you are looking to take a specific test, check with the OFPC main office to see if/when one is being held near you....