Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

Route 9 & 9A SB closed Sunday 9/09/12

8 posts in this topic

The following gives information on this Sunday's Southbound closure of Routes 9 & 9A due to the Toughman Triathalon.

Both Routes will be closed from 5:30A to 1:00P. Route 9 Southbound will be closed from Bear Mountain Parkway to the Route 9A intersection. Route 9A will be closed from the Route 9 intersection to Route 100 in Briarcliff.

The attached link http://toughmantri.com/images/2012BikeCourseImpact.pdf gives a map and detailed instructions for detours.

Plan now for any response implications.

Good god who was the brain trust that agreed to this.. So at 9 am, Croton FD gets dispatched to a working structure fire on Teatown Road, in our outer district which we have to go on route 9 into Ossining to get to... Or A Mutual aid call with the Tanker to Millwood's or Yorktowns outer area... how do we get there ???

Quaker Bridge is not rated for all but one Croton rig, and the Croton Dam is still closed to all traffic... Oh sorry Mrs. Jones, it took use 45 minutes to get there because the roads were shut down for a road race...

I hope the PD agencies or who every is planning this out have a plan to get emergency equipment through there if needed, because as of tonight, CFD knows nothing, great inter agency work here...

I saw several of the programmable signs throughout the area saying that 9 and 9A would be closed in areas of Ossining and Peekskill, but nothing saying why it was closed. This seems to be horrible planning by whoever is sponsoring this race by not bringing in all local agencies in the areas affected by these closures. Hopefully nothing happens during the times these roads are closed, but if it does..they better be pretty damn quick to open up the roads and hold the race or be responsible if something serious happens.

I hope the PD agencies or who every is planning this out have a plan to get emergency equipment through there if needed, because as of tonight, CFD knows nothing, great inter agency work here...

First, typically road closures are the prerogative of DOT or the municipality, not the PD. Second, I'm not sure how CFD was unaware of this, as I've personally seen it on the highway variable message boards for a good two to three weeks now, including one right on Route 9 in Croton proper.

I'm not sure how CFD was unaware of this, as I've personally seen it on the highway variable message boards for a good two to three weeks now, including one right on Route 9 in Croton proper.

We did know they were closed, but did not know why.

First, typically road closures are the prerogative of DOT or the municipality, not the PD. Second, I'm not sure how CFD was unaware of this, as I've personally seen it on the highway variable message boards for a good two to three weeks now, including one right on Route 9 in Croton proper.

Maybe our Chief ( 2081 ) will tell us more later today, but when I talked to him about it last night, he was not apart of the planning, or had the Village informed him of just what is going to happen if something did come up... Truthfully, it does not suprise me, the CFD is always the last to know...we are all told we need to be NIMS trained so that all agencies can work together, but I can personally list 4 - 6 calls in the last 4 years were all that training was not put to good use...

I'm posting from my iphone so please bare with me.

I sent a request to our Village Manager to know what exactly is going on, the road closures/detours involved and what is expected from us. This past Wednesday, I attended a staff meeting and finally got the answers to these questions.

If there is a fire or other emergency that we need to get to, we can access Route 9 southbound at Croton Point Avenue. There's more info, and that went out in a department email on Thursday.

My other concern that nobody has answered as of yet was the request of other fire departments to "assist us." i am not against te help, but those requests should come from our Incident Commander, not the person organizing the event.

But I will digress, and likely turf this detail to another Chief Officer next year so I can sleep in.

The other rocket science move was to close 9/9A and divert all southbound traffic at the Annsville Circle across the Bear Mtn to Rt 202 to the Taconic Pkwy south but unless memory fails me are these not the same people that recommended that the public use Route 9/9A while the bridge rebuild was going on on the Taconic and the lanes were reduced.