Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Automatic CPR device revives woman (Mohegan)

19 posts in this topic

The new Thumper?

I've never seen or heard of this device before.

Anybody ever use it? Is it even allowed for use in NYS yet, or is this a pilot program?

If it actually delivers consisent and appropriate compression, this could definelty be a benfit, especially for those with limited crews.

I just wonder about the manpower and time required to set it up. Could it also just be another piece of equipment to get in the way and break. think time will tell, and I'm interested to see how this device will fare in Mohegan and if anybody else countywide will use it.

Howver, effective compressions should be one of the backbones of our certs, and to be proficient in that you need to practice.

News Article From the Journal News, 02/05/04

http://www.thejournalnews.com

For More Information On The Device, http://www.zoll.com/autopulsebyrevivant.htm

Automatic CPR device revives woman

By TERRY CORCORAN  

THE JOURNAL NEWS  

(Original publication: February 5, 2004)

A new medical device that performs automatic cardio-pulmonary resuscitation on heart patients is being credited with helping to revive a 63-year-old Cortlandt woman who collapsed in her home yesterday, fire officials said.  

The device, known as the AutoPulse Resuscitation System, is on loan to the Lake Mohegan Fire District, one of only five fire departments in the country using it as part of a pilot program.  

The device is a battery-powered system that provides automatic chest compressions during CPR to a heart patient. It delivers consistent compression of the chest wall by 20 percent, deemed the optimal amount of pressure to keep blood flowing. It also frees up emergency responders to administer drugs, oxygen and other treatment while the device is operating.  

Lake Mohegan firefighters have had the device for a little more than a week, but yesterday marked the first time they used it. Lt. John Jackson, firefighters Rae Guadagnolo and John DiVernieri of Lake Mohegan, and Peekskill paramedic James Travis successfully used the machine to revive the patient, who was found on the floor of her house.  

"To have used it successfully the first time out, I'm just thrilled. We all are," said Capt. Rick Strauss of the Lake Mohegan Fire District.  

The rescuers also used the device later in the emergency room at Hudson Valley Hospital Center when the woman again went into cardiac arrest, and again revived her. The woman was listed in critical condition last night, fire officials said. Her name was not available due to privacy laws.  

Strauss said he would like to see the district raise the $13,000 needed to purchase one of the units. He said he envisions a day when the AutoPulse systems are standard life-saving equipment, much like portable defibrillators.  

Firefighters received a 911 call about the Cortlandt woman at 8:12 a.m. yesterday and arrived at the scene with paramedics within three minutes. They determined her heart had been stopped for about 10 minutes.  

Because the woman was unresponsive and her blood was not flowing, firefighters were unable to use a defibrillator, a device that restarts the heart with an electric shock, Jackson said. They first had to get her blood flowing through CPR. Manual CPR was initiated for a few seconds before the AutoPulse machine was set up.  

The device has a 2-inch thick board that contains a motor, rechargeable batteries, and an 8-inch wide belt. The board goes underneath the victim and the belt is strapped across the chest. Once the device is activated, the motor retracts and pushes out the belt.  

Jackson said it produces "the perfect CPR" because, unlike humans, it delivers consistent compression, does not tire and does not risk breaking the ribs of a patient with brittle bones.  

"I was amazed that it worked so smoothly and did what it was supposed to do," Jackson said. "It's great to have in your tool box."  

The device was developed by the Revivant Corp., of Sunnydale, Calif. Spokesman Tom Fitzmorris said the company's chairman, Thomas Fogerty, a heart surgeon and inventor, saw the need for an automatic CPR device after he was unable to revive a neighbor who had collapsed.  

The company spent more than $26 million in research and development and began actively marketing the device late last year, Fitzmorris said.  

yea, saw it on new12 last night. Great Jobs guys!...BTW, What is the womans current condition?

I saw and briefly played with this device at the Firehouse Expo last year. At the time it was brand new on the market. The set up was quick, considering it was done by a saleman in a controled environment. According to the article it is a pilot project. Maybe someone from Mohegan can fill us in on the specifics.

Years ago, we had a similar device, "The Thumper". It was similar in nature as it automatically did compressions and went one further and did the ventilations. The draw backs were the two large O2 cylinders that powered the device. Once in the bus you could plug it into the onboard O2.

This new one is battery powered with a strap you put across the patients chest.

It automatically give compressions to the patient. The career personnel are carrying it on U-40. U-40 now seems to roll on every ems call, on top of the ambulance from MVFA-VAC and the medics. The article in the Journal News also seems to forget that the Capt. of Mohegan VAC was on that scene before anyone else and began CPR immediately and that the patient was transported by Mohegan VAC soon after...could this have increased the patients survival rate....hmmm????

What i am about to say IS going to piss people off. But just remember it is only MY opinion. Once I posted before and I made fun of a dept and it was taken down.

Come on. You me to tell me that the tax payers in the town of Yorktown and Cortland have to pay for another toy...we all know how to do cpr and there is always enough people at a Mohegan calls so man power is not limited to do cpr. .... I just don't understand how money just keeps getting spent on dump things.... i think this is a unnecessary "toy" for the fd.... oh and just my 2 cent ...why in the town of Yorktown when you call 911 for a ambulance you get

1 police car...necessary

1 medic truck...necessary

1 U-40... ????

1 or more chief’s trucks????

1 fire truck .....ok you might need the fire truck .

1 ambulance.... necessary

You mean to tell me out of all the people driving thesis truck can't to CPR

Dose anyone feel this is a over kill of emergency vechicals

Depending on the call...lets just say it's your every day elderly person not feeling well, all you need is a patrol car, Fly car, and an ambulance. Let the ambulance Captain and LT. run the call. Having a utility, and an engine is unnecessary (unless you live in Yonkers per the "first responder" agreement.) IF ANYTHING maybe 1 chief should respond. I'm not even talking about Mohegan, im talking about all of westchester. I also personally think when Yonkers FD goes to a Residential or Commercial alarm it should be 3 engines and 1 ladder and a battalion, Instead of 4 Engines, 2 ladders, and battalion. If you ask me, thats too dangerous, especially if the call if a false one. that means you got a total of 6 apparatus on the road going fast, and being a potential hazard because of food on the stove. But if there is a call regarding a working fire, by all means put em all on the road, but thats just My opinion.

Actually what probably contributed to the woman being revived, and I do not know what her current status is, was a combination of everything mentioned, as well as the administration of ACLS protocol, by Peekskill Fire Department Firefighter/Paramedic James Travis.

As far as a few of the other comments, I'm gonna throw one of your pennies back at ya.

Why would you need a patrol car at an EMS call for "your every day elderly peroson not feeling well."? Additionally, DFFD, your comment that "an engine and utility are unnecessary unless you live in Yonkers per the "first responder" agreement" to me doesn't bear any fruitful information. Its necessary because of an agreement? How about the fact that one FD in question whom sends a engine and utility do so because of the size of their district, the fact that its covered by a VAC and the first due unit is dispatched to stop the clock and start care. Add in the fact that the medic could be coming from anywhere, and if its the medic from the neighboring city your looking at least a 5-9 or even 10 mins response time if its on the opposite side of that town. My PD doesn't even carry AED's nor medical equipment, they are too busy as it is. Yonkers does it for the fact that Empress does get busy, may only have limted units and again, the closest unit goes and often beats the ambulance to the scene. Also you stated "at least maybe 1 Chief there." For what would you possibly need a chief for a medical call for?

MSANJ, you have valid arguements. However, those whom live in Lake Mohegan fire district pay fire district tax for a service. And in my opinion they are getting service by those whom are paid to serve, that is why you get an engine and utility, and yes they do seem to have plenty of people, but apparantly not all at the times needed since they drop calls mutual aid, and often you have to wait for the crew to assemble, so having 2 ff/emts (a few whom are medics also) there with you while you are treating a patient helps.

The fact is yes we can all do CPR, but I also saw this device at the Firehouse Expo and was impressed, the fact that it squeezes vs. "thumping" is much more efficient, and the pad is larger so you get more surface area then the thumper or hands, and it is constant, no hard then soft, then slip off to the side. $13,000 dollars is relatively cheap for this type of device. It is also on U40 currently because it was offerred to be used in neighboring agencies and that is the only means they had to deliver it within an adequate time frame that would be useful.

Finally, most alarm assignments for fully paid FD's are to get the compliment of personnel that they need there.

ALS FF,

Well, we are from totally different towns...Our PD does provide medical care, in fact 2 police officers are dispatched to EMS Scenes in Greenbergh. The Fly car (Greenberg ALS) Covers all of Greenbergh, and like you said, they can be 7 or so minutes away. Again, Like I said, depending what the situation is, some districts send engines to medical calls for the sake of getting there quicker...thats one of the reasons YFD does it. Greenville, and Fairview go on Medical calls...Fairview send a rescue and an engine. But that again is a lot of apparatus. But you do bring up a good point, no matter how many trucks, engines, cars, etc., they have, as long as the man power can get there...

DFFD,

Don't take offense, but I'm quite aware that we are in different areas, I'm in a City additionally not a Town, but that minor.

Rolling along with your last post, I have to apologize again, but that is not what you said, I basically quoted what you said, and you never mention "depending on what the situation is, some districts send engines to medical calls for the sake of getting there quicker."

Re read that first post. Additionally being a career FF/Paramedic in Westchester, I'm well aware of most FD's EMS response being I have friends in Fairview, Greenville & Hartsdale. Additionally, I understand Greenburgh PD's sytem, I also understand that in Ossining, Briarcliff and Croton you get a officer on every medical call unless they are totally tied up. That's why I stated about my PD. Some do start basic care upon arrival, majority don't, I state majority in most of my posts.

DFFD227-

To clear it up-

Greenburgh Police in the villages sends one civilian Paramedic in a flycar. 75, the flycar out of DFH, only covers the villages and is back up to the town. For calls in the town, the BLS ambulance is staffed by one Police Officer EMT, and there is an ambulance staffed by a civilan paramedic. With these, a police sector officer usually meets the ambulance at the scene and drives, or one of the firefighter drives. Also, usually the Police Officer Paramedics staff the Paramedic Expeditons when available for town coverage.

Usually police officers in smaller towns respond to try and lend a hand or take a report as may be their protocol. Some are first responders and carry defib units.

As for engines being dispatched "to get there quicker", it's basically to intiate care quicker and reduce downtime. Your brain begins to die within 4-6 minutes without oxygen. If the FD engine or other first responder can get there quicker, intiate ventilations to provide oxygen to the blood, provide chest compressions to circulate that blood to the brain, and defib the heart that may be beating in a chaotic fashion that hinders its pumping abilty, the sooner all that can be done, coupled with appropriate ALS care, the greater the patients chances at survival are. Also, as an EMS provider, it's nice to have those extra set of hands sometimes to carry equipment, patients, do CPR,etc

Me personally though ,the less the better unless its a critical patient. If I was having chest pain, I wouldnt want 20 people milling around my place. And nothing against FF's, but on EMS calls, no reason to wear bunker gear inside the patients house for a number of obvious reasons.

Now, can we try to stay on or near the topic with the CPR machine thingy, lol?

Patient died later that same day.

DFFD,  

I also understand that in Ossining, Briarcliff and Croton you get a officer on every medical call unless they are totally tied up.  That's why I stated about my PD.  Some do start basic care upon arrival, majority don't, I state majority in most of my posts.

In Briarcliff & the Town of Oss.(Not sure about the village) all the patrol cars carry a basic first aid kit, O2, and a AED, and all of the officers are trained in American Red Cross First aid, CPR, and AED. A couple of the officers in Briarcliff are also EMT's, and the majority of the time they at least have O2 on the Pt. when we get there.

I see this as being an even bigger asset in the back of the rig when you are trying to push drugs read the tape from the monitor etc, all while southbound on the TSP to WCMC.

It's one less person that has to hover over the pt. while enroute.

Also free's up someone to give the pre-hospital report.

Certainly not a substitute for traditional CPR training, but what a great way to modernize the process when appropriate.

Go Mohegan!

MSANJ....let me give you my 2 cents now and i am a member of yorktown and mohegan so i may come off a little territorial.

1. Rarely ever does a chief show up at a EMS call unless they are MVA's

2. U-40 may seem useless but it kind of does have a purpose...it gets there faster and speeds up patient care and it often take a while for an bus to roll bc people respond from their houses.

3. I dont consider the new CPR device a toy if it has proved to save a life....yes the patient did die later and maybe the immediate cpr did help but it happen to actually work.

Yes i know it was your opinion and im not trying to prove you wrong but this is the other side of it. And if anything you should congratulating Mohegan.

i know all the bs that goes on. When yvac goes to a call your don't see YHFD responding to ems call do you. (only mva's)

(U-40 may seem useless but it kind of does have a purpose...it gets there faster and speeds up patient care and it often take a while for an bus to roll bc people respond from their houses)

It is useless...Why does a police car (THAT IS A EMT UNIT AND HAS A D-FIB) and U-40 another emt unit w/ a d-fib have to sit and wait for the ambulance. huh

should i congratulat them for spending people hard earned money on somethink that a EMT or a Medic can do . i know ems is advaicing in the techinal world but this is something that is a complete waste. spend the money on a more advance LP it a BP machine. pulse ox. you use that more offten

someone also said it free's up some to make a notification ...that is what the driver is for ....in a busy ems system like yonkers New rochelle white plains and mount vernon your partner or driver can easley do it ...

oh and X635 said it the best

Me personally though ,the less the better unless its a critical patient. If I was having chest pain, I wouldnt want 20 people milling around my place. And nothing against FF's, but on EMS calls, no reason to wear bunker gear inside the patients house for a number of obvious reasons.

Oh also

FF get paid good money and get great benfits

Police officers get paid good money and get great benfits

EMT have to work 3 job to make good money and get crap benfits

can someone answer me that ..

Again, let's try to not stray far from the topic at hand here.

As ALSFirefighter and others said, it's not only about somebody to do the compressions, it's about doing consistent (which is a big problem all EMS providers have, when moving the patient,getting thrown around in the back, getting tired,improper compression balance, placement, etc etc) and quality. Try doing CPR at 3am during an 8 flight carrydown of a poorly lit narrow stairwell when it's 90 degrees outside and 100% humidty. Is the patient being effectively/consistently perfused during this time? When the crews get down, are they going to be able to do good CPR? Studies have shown that providers have trouble judging their own fatigue level during ocmpressions. As we all know,100% EFFECTIVE and CONSISTENT chest compressions, coupled with other critical interventions,can increase cornary and cerebral perfusion, making the difference between life and death in some cases.

I suggest everybody who has issues with this device take a look at this study:

http://www.revivant.com/pages/prod/Clinica...erRev_May_5.pdf

To spend the extra money on BP for Lifepak is a nice thing, but I personally dont trust automatic BP's....and that's something that can be done just as easily manually.

Also, I beleive, according to the article and a Zoll sales rep, that this device is on loan for evaluation purposes to Mohegan. Whether or not they buy it remains to be seen.

As I said before, time will make or break this device. I think it has a good concept, by being able to do effective and consistent CPR %100 of the time. I'm sure many agencies can't see spending that amount of money for a toy, in some and probaly many eyes. But when the AED and other devices came out, they too were met with a great deal of skepticism.

These are some of the more important rules of this forum. The moderators have been asked to observe for this. Members should interact respectively,pleasantly, and contructively with one another, and if they cannot do so, they should not post on this board. We ask that if anybody tries and incite you, ignore it until it can be deleted or dealt with.  

POSTS THAT VIOLATE THE RULES WILL BE A. MEMBER WILL BE WARNED TO CHANGE THEIR POST B.POST WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT NOTICE C. POST WILL BE EDITED TO REMOVE CONTENT

Please read below.  

No Profanity.  

No Bickering. I do not provide this board for that purpose.  

No "flaming" of other members to incite or perpetuate a conflict or argument. ANY personal or departmental attacks or name calling will not be tolerated. If you don't like an agency or person, this WILL NOT be the board to take up those issues. Period.  

There are going to be topics and discussions that will have heated debates. Please think before you post and re-read what you type before you post it. Keep your comments limited to the debate at hand and not make this a personal issue between you and another reader. There is tremendous diversity in age, race, gender, language, location and more here and there will be a lot of varying opinions on different subjects. We're all human beings and we we're all drawn to this site because we have a common bond  

I don't understand why such hostility is being directed towards one particular agency. There are problems with any agency be it obvious or no., be they carreer or volunteer or combination. Maybe Mohegan doesn't have what would be considered the most effective system of response, but the powers that be feel that it works, and that is the way it is set up. I can pick any agency in Westchester and nitpick how they do things till I'm blue in the face, but what purpose does that serve in the end? What good would I be doing? When someone types the words "What i am about to say IS going to piss people off." why do they even bother to continue? Perhaps instead of being negative, offer some suggestions in a positive. and constructive manner. Otherwise, keep your posts to yourself.