Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GBFD111

Dorm Room Burn Demonstration (Canton NY)

3 posts in this topic

Here is a video of a live burn demonstration of a mock dorm room that the Canton Fire Department put on for St. Lawrence University's Safety Fair Day. Volunteering in a town with 2 Universities, we get a lot of box alarms and students tend to think that when the fire alarm goes off, its not necessarily an emergency and can stay in their buildings. We wanted to show how quick a room and contents fire can occur in a dorm room.

As well as the live burn, we had fogged out a large room and brought students through, showing them what it would be like in our "working" environment. We also taught them how to find a wall and look for a door or window to get out of the smoke filled environment to safety.

The link is below:

Enjoy

http://www.stlawu.edu/video/safety.html

Stevieb123, JetPhoto, sueg and 1 other like this

UNH will be doing their version of this "burn box" demo in the next couple weeks. They burn 2 rooms, one with a sprinkler. I'll be sure to post pictures after the fact.

GBFD, if you want contact with the UNH Fire Science program that does their fire prevention stuff, PM me and I'll put you in contact with someone.

Here is a video of a live burn demonstration of a mock dorm room that the Canton Fire Department put on for St. Lawrence University's Safety Fair Day. Volunteering in a town with 2 Universities, we get a lot of box alarms and students tend to think that when the fire alarm goes off, its not necessarily an emergency and can stay in their buildings. We wanted to show how quick a room and contents fire can occur in a dorm room.

As well as the live burn, we had fogged out a large room and brought students through, showing them what it would be like in our "working" environment. We also taught them how to find a wall and look for a door or window to get out of the smoke filled environment to safety.

The link is below:

Enjoy

http://www.stlawu.ed...deo/safety.html

We did this down the road in the dirty dam each year for Clarkson. Man do I miss riding up there... Stay safe brother, enjoy the action while you're up there.

GBFD111 likes this