Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

New ways to dial 911 on horizon?

6 posts in this topic

New ways to dial 911 on horizon?

With landlines a relic of the past and smart phones aplenty, the way you dial 911 could shift dramatically. Instead of calls, pictures, video streams, text messages.

"They could be hiding in a closet, maybe somebody is breaking into their house, they could text silently without making any noise and we would get the information, send help and we would be able to communicate back and forth," said Christopher Bodin explaining one important use for texting.

Bodin works as senior dispatcher for Poughkeepsie's 911 center.

http://hudsonvalley....11-on-horizon-/

fireboyny and x129K like this

I can only imagine the "911 hangups" that would happen with text messages.....

Hang ups and 911 non-sense aside, I believe that in todays day and age it is essential that 911 dispatchers and call takers have the ability to send and receive text messages and emails from parties interested in reaching emergency services.

I can think of several examples where a text message or email would be incredibly helpful. For example, there are locations on this planet, and even in suburban westchester where I can not send or receive a cell phone call but can certainly send or receive text messages. If I were involved in an MVA in one of these areas, I would be able to text for help instead of being stuck with a brick for a communication device. Additionally, if I were to be followed home while walking, instead of alerting the predator to my intention to communication to LEOs by speaking on the phone, I simply text 911 my location, whats happening and a description of the individual and I could have a RMP patrolling the area without even giving the perp notice I was on to him. Another example is if you saw a crime in progress or a stolen car, one could simply text the location or a picture with a location to 911 and have an officer sent over.

All in all, I would hope that despite the potential for abuse, it todays day and age where cell phones, text messages and wireless connectivity are so common place, the ability to communicate with emergency services via text would be a great assist to emergency services and the public that we serve.

I was going to say that Dan but didn't want to blow up your spot and ruin the illusion that you were the boss...