Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Sandy Scam Alert

2 posts in this topic

Posted at the request of another member... Thank you (anonymous)!

In Carmel, N.Y.-

At around 3:30 p.m. yesterday afternoon a red car with CT license plates with 3 men in the car made a -turn in my driveway and stopped in front of my house. The caucasian man was in the drivers seat with the car running and a hispanic man with a mustache along with an african american man got ot of the car and approached my house. I sent my husband outside to greet them and they were wearing FEMA jackets and hats but showed no identification. They asked my husband if we suffered from any storm damage and when they saw that my dogs were uncontrollable, they backed up and handed my husband a piece of paper with FEMA Disaster Assistance numbers on it and they got in their car and drove away.

I contacted the Sheriff's Department who informed me that their were several reports of people pretending to be from FEMA in our community. I contacted FEMA and FEMA confirmed that their were no representatives canvassing the Carmel area without an appointment and that FEMA representatives would not just drop by your house asking you questions with someone in the drivers seat with the car running.

FEMA reports that these people pretending to be representing FEMA are canvasing the area to commit burglaries and robberies.

If someone shows up at your house without an appointment representing themselves to be from FEMA or any other relief agency, demand identification and if in doubt call 911.

SageVigiles, peterose313 and RJB896 like this

It's been happening in Yonkers too. There's been people posing as representatives from your bank and were sent out to take photos of your house so they can "check for damage" from Sandy. This person had an unmarked white van and when asked for ID, they can't come up with any.