Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

This $200 iPhone Case Is An FDA-Approved EKG Machine

7 posts in this topic

This $200 iPhone Case Is An FDA-Approved EKG Machine

Most iPhone cases just protect your phone from drops. If you’re getting fancy, it may have a fisheye camera lens or a screen-printed back. But what about diagnosing coronary heart disease, arrhythmia, or congenital heart defects? The AliveCor Heart Monitor is an FDA-approved iPhone case that can be held in your hands (or dramatically pressed against your chest) to produce an EKG/ECG--the infamous green blips pulsing patient-side in hospitals everywhere.

“We think that EKG screening can be as approachable as taking blood pressure,” AliveCor President and CEO Judy Wade tells Co.Design.

http://www.huffingto..._ref=technology

Very interesting next it will be able to defibrillat you too.

EmsFirePolice likes this

I dig it.

How many services in the Hudson Valley have the ability to perform an EKG in the field without a medic present.

Protocols in VT EMS District 3 allow for even EMT-Bs to perform an EKG on the road and transmit the results to medical control. Although I have no skills beyond the B level to mitigate a STEMI, stroke or cardiac incident, the sheer fact that I can identify it in the field without needing advanced assistance is a great asset to my patients. It allows me to raise an alert with med control such that by the time I get to the ER, all I have to do is give a report to the radio room/RNs, hand off the pt and up they go to the cath lab or into surgery. Not to bad for two basics in a beat up old ford van in the woods if you ask me...

How many services in the Hudson Valley have the ability to perform an EKG in the field without a medic present.

None. As far as I know, and from experience, only medics carry monitors.

When defibrilation first became allowed for basics my ambulance service in Beacon had defoliators with 2 lead EKG screens. In fact as part of becoming an EMT-D you had to learn several rhythms. Then with technology & time they phased out those units to what we have available today "Dummy Box's" which anyone can use.

Our AED's still have a screen to view rythyms, and we still have quite a few people who were EMT-D's or higher who know what they mean

JetPhoto likes this

Srs131: You guys do 12 leads at the Basic level up there? Very cool. I don't know too many commercial services that would foot the bill for 12-lead capable monitors on BLS trucks.

Srs131: You guys do 12 leads at the Basic level up there? Very cool. I don't know too many commercial services that would foot the bill for 12-lead capable monitors on BLS trucks.

The commercial transport agency I run with up here only gives 12 leads to AEMTs when they are transporting ALS patients, otherwise all BLS trucks only have an AED.

The 911 agency I run with mandates that all certified EMTs be capable of performing a 12 lead and transmit it to the ER successfully by themselves. Since we are a town based EMS service, we can receive funding from the town for 12 leads EKGs to provide a higher level of service then would otherwise be possible solely as a commercial agency.

JetPhoto likes this