Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Coast Guard HMS Bounty Rescue Documentary

3 posts in this topic

Just watched this very well done documentary on the Weather Channel. It's about the Coast Guard mission to rescue sailors on the HMS Bounty during Superstorm Sandy. It's been airing on the Weather Channel in a variety of timeslots as a 1hr special. Really highlights the dedication of the Coast Guard in an almost unprecedented mission.

Coast Guard HMS Bounty rescue, a special program for The Weather Channel details the Coast Guard's mission to rescue 14 crew members of the HMS Bounty during Hurricane Sandy

On October 30, the HMS Bounty was sailing from Connecticut to Florida as Hurricane Sandy churned up the East Coast. The historical replica ship, which was created for the 1962 film "Mutiny on the Bounty", starring Marlin Brando, met its demise when the storm battered the ship at sea. The ship's crew clung desperately to life, powerless against rough seas and high winds 90 miles off the coast of North Carolina.

Almost immediately after the distress signals reached the USCG, teams were sent out to locate and rescue the Bounty's crew. Fighting hurricane force winds and flying below the clouds, rescue helicopters reached the wreckage and began lifting survivors to safety. The Weather Channel takes you inside the incredible rescue with first-hand accounts from those who survived and the brave men and women of the United States Coast Guard.

Show's Website with clips and air times: http://www.weather.com/tv/tvshows/coast-guard-hms-bounty-rescue/main

I watched it last night and I came away very impressed with the training, dedication and skill of Coast Guard Rescue Crews. Many of the crew members on the two rescue choppers, including the women pilots, appeared to be very young (at least the seemed young to an old man like myself!!), but certainly confident of their own abilitities and those of their fellow crew members. There must be a very high level of trust among members of a Rescue Helicopter crew, especially on the part of the rescue swimmers. I can't imagine going into the Atlantic at the height of a hurricane with 30 foot waves and swimming repeatedly to the life rafts and then back to the location of the rescue basket while holding onto a rescued party from the HMS Bounty. Under those conditions it must have been exhausting. Amazing how quickly they were able to put the documentary together.

x635 likes this

I have a ton of respect for members of the Coast Guard. They fly into some of the best and worst conditions possible. Coast Guard Alaska/Florida are some of my favorite and most addicted shows. Those guys are just plain nuts.