SageVigiles

HAZMAT Awareness for Non-First Responders

5 posts in this topic

I was hoping someone here could help me out. The staff in my Health Department, specifically the Sanitarians (Health Inspectors) need HAZMAT Awareness training for resource typing within our mutual aid network. Most of the HAZMAT stuff I have is specifically geared towards Firefighters, EMS or Law Enforcement.

I was wondering if anyone had any Powerpoints and/or lesson plans for a HAZMAT Awareness class that is geared towards people who are not first responders and if they'd be willing to share.

Any help would be appreciated.

I believe that FEMA would classify them as first responders since the definition was expanded in the early 2000's.

They could probably use the same training as any other responder - observe, report, run away. B)

efermann and JM15 like this

Right, I know that they SHOULD be considered First Responders, but that's not the mindset they operate in on a day-to-day basis, nor is it the way they are treated by city government. As part of my job that's something that needs to change, but it has to start with training first. My point is that a lot of the HAZMAT Awareness presentations I've seen with are specifically geared for those who are already in the "traditional" emergency services who get some of the jargon and have a background of how to respond to emergencies. My Sanitarians don't do much in the way of emergency response, other than inspecting restaurants and stores after fires/floods/power outages.

The concepts are the same, its the way they are communicated that I'm concerned with. As a new instructor I was hoping someone would have something more generic.

Edited by SageVigiles

That works great! A little modification and that will be perfect! Much appreciated Cap!