Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x4093k

Airport Body Scanners To Be Gone By June....

7 posts in this topic

All the time and money wasted putting these in is what's getting to me. It would be nice if the federal government (or any government for that matter) learned to think things through before acting. How could they not see this coming?

I flew recently, and tried to opt out of the body scanner. After a verbal exchange with he TSA agent, I was for all intents and purposes rushed through the scanner, and was left with no alternative. I understand airport security and concerns with keeping people from committing crimes on airplanes, etc. The TSA agent laughed at me when I mentioned the 4th amendment of the constitution.... The agent related to me that my right to bear arms didn't allow me to carry a dangerous instrument on an airplane. My frustration here is two fold. A great deal of taxpayer money is funding these scanners, and constantly changing they around or even having them in the first place doesn't seem cost effective. Additionally, from my exchange with the TSA officers, there is a serious training and educational issue. I get it, by flying, you consent to a search, etc. It blows my mind however, that we would waste such a huge amount of money on invasive search techniques that could pose a serious health risk. I'm willing to bet that bouncers at a nightclub catch more dangerous instruments on a Saturday night than the TSA catches in a year. Remember, you will soon be able to take a pen knife on a plane, but that dangerous bottle of water, well, that is just a huge security risk.

Just flew yesterday, had a full bottle of water in my bag that they caught. If I wanted to drink it, I had to go out and then go back through security. I did it and went through the "more speed " line. They caught the dangerous bottle of water, missed the large bottle of sunblock, large toothpaste, half finished water bottle in my other carryon, the plastic utensils, including a dangerous plastic knife, in the bag with my key lime pie (with whipped cream!), the belt that is dangerous around my waist, but perfectly fine in my bag, etc, etc, etc.

Just flew yesterday, had a full bottle of water in my bag that they caught. If I wanted to drink it, I had to go out and then go back through security. I did it and went through the "more speed " line. They caught the dangerous bottle of water, missed the large bottle of sunblock, large toothpaste, half finished water bottle in my other carryon, the plastic utensils, including a dangerous plastic knife, in the bag with my key lime pie (with whipped cream!), the belt that is dangerous around my waist, but perfectly fine in my bag, etc, etc, etc.

The water bottle was missed. Chalk up another point for the TSA. (sigh)

Plastic utensils aren't prohibited.

Belts are removed so they don't trigger the sensors as you pass through. They're only dangerous around your waist if you have six pagers, two pairs of scissors, a leatherman and a cell phone on it! LOL

I flew recently, and tried to opt out of the body scanner. After a verbal exchange with he TSA agent, I was for all intents and purposes rushed through the scanner, and was left with no alternative. I understand airport security and concerns with keeping people from committing crimes on airplanes, etc. The TSA agent laughed at me when I mentioned the 4th amendment of the constitution.... The agent related to me that my right to bear arms didn't allow me to carry a dangerous instrument on an airplane. My frustration here is two fold. A great deal of taxpayer money is funding these scanners, and constantly changing they around or even having them in the first place doesn't seem cost effective. Additionally, from my exchange with the TSA officers, there is a serious training and educational issue. I get it, by flying, you consent to a search, etc. It blows my mind however, that we would waste such a huge amount of money on invasive search techniques that could pose a serious health risk. I'm willing to bet that bouncers at a nightclub catch more dangerous instruments on a Saturday night than the TSA catches in a year. Remember, you will soon be able to take a pen knife on a plane, but that dangerous bottle of water, well, that is just a huge security risk.

My frustration exists on a number of levels. First and foremost, the fourth amendment is for searches and seizures and the second amendment relates to the right to keep and bear arms. I really hope that there wasn't any confusion over that since they're both referenced.

Second, I'm surprised that a first responder from the NY area isn't a little bit more sensitive to the need for heightened security at our airports. How soon we forget!

Moving right along, a pen knife is not the same hazard as a bottle of an explosive compound. The penknife may hurt someone but not everybody is going to sit idly by while a plane is taken over anymore. The bottle of explosives can bring down an airplane. Hence the need to focus on that threat.

Finally, I will conced that the TSA is inconsistent, doesn't project a lot of confidence or professionalism all the time. However, they DO interdict an impressive array of prohibited items every year and their methods are not invasive or a waste of money. Invasive is a cavity search and while I've grumbled to the contrary on many occasions, the TSA is not especially invasive. Could they be more cost effective? Sure, but so could every school district, FD, PD, and other agency on the planet!

16fire5 likes this

Additionally, from my exchange with the TSA officers, there is a serious training and educational issue.

What's even worse is their inability to remember TRS 1540 and 1542 (Transportation Security Regulations pertaining to airports and commercial service airports). They tried to take my leatherman away once, mind you I work at Westchester Airport. The TSO told me I couldn't bring my leatherman through a secure door (which my office monitors), however a tool box filled with screwdrivers, hammers, a saw, and many other sharp instruments is fine.