Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

CB Radio Channel 9

4 posts in this topic

Judging by all the new over the road trucks I see delivered with it, as well as all the CB radios and accesories and truck stops, leads me to believe CB's are alive and well still in this age.

However, when it comes to Channel 9 (designated emergency channel), how many agencies actually still monitor it? I used to see a lot of signs along highways (and I think even Route 7 in Ridgefield, CT) advertising they monitor that channel. Traveling across the country this summer, I noticed CB antennas on State Police cars as well.

Does NYSP or any other agency still monitor channel 9 or use other channels to get information from truckers?

hey seth, being a truck driver myself i do know that CT state police and some town police departments do still monitor channel 9 as a emergency channel, NYSP troop T division used to monitor it as well ....not sure anymore if its car to car or if the dispatch repeaters can even pick it up ...... mass state police also monitors channel 9 on the mass pike from what i remember .....but the "unofficial" open channel if u wanna call it is channel 19 thats where a majority of chatter takes place... if CB radios interest you that much read up on them u can do some cool stuff with them.... like for instance during certain times of the year with the proper radio and antenna set up u can speak to people as far away as portugal!!....my father used to be really big into high dollar CB radio's and such. I hope ive helped u out with your questions on the topic and if your further interested or need more shoot me a message i'd be glad to talk on the topic

From what I was told by an SP friend, (several years ago), NYSP were allowed to put CB radios in their assigned cars with supervisor permission as long as they purchased them and had them installed by an SP authorized installer. I once spoke to a Trooper on Ch 19 when I used to run the road.

As a side note, the old walkie-talkies we had as kids were the same frequency as CB ch 14.

As a communications tech in New Hampshire for the last 20 years, I can't remember the last time I saw a CB radio in a police cruiser, fire apparatus or dispatch center. Doesn't appear to me that CH9 is monitored around these parts anymore. I do find CB gear in cement mixers, dump trucks etc.