Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbendick

Some Basic tips for the Digital World.

11 posts in this topic

Just wanted to put some basic tips out there for anyone using digital.

You should treat the digital file that is copied of the camera as your negative. Never give this file out to anyone. Never delete it or make changes to it.

Take the files and put them in some sort of order. I like to keep them in number order. Make 2 copies of it. I will keep a copy on the harddrive and then make one set on CD and one set one DVD.

CD will hold about 200 photos.

DVD will hold about 1200 photos.

So lets say you want to make some changes to a photo. Crop it add a little color or something like that. Goto the master file and then copy it to another folder before making changes. This way you can always go back and have an original file to work from.

Remember with Jpeg files every time you resave it you lose quality and if you rotate it in windows you also lose quality.

So no mater what you do always try to keep a set of photos untouched just the way they came out of the camera.

that is some good advice thanks

Thanks for that tip about the jpg files never knew that =D>

Thanks,, was wondering how many photos CD holds

Ok--question--How can I resize the photos so they are earise to email--perfect quality is not a problem. Like for a web site--some of them say the file is too big.

To E-mail photos in Windows XP can be very easy depending on what you use for E-mail.

They way I do this is with Outlook Express as my E-mail.

Goto the folder that has the photo and right click on the photo and hit "send to" - "Mail Recipient"

It then gives you the option to make it smaller. I go tend to go with the size 640x480 for E-mail and websites.

If you don't use outlook you might still be able to do this. When the E-mail comes it with the attachments click on the attachements to open a preview and then resave them to a new spot.

Of course you can do all this with any photo program.

Two things. The first is that the number of images on a storage medium depends on a number of factors. One of them is the resolution you set on your digital camera (many cameras give you the option of a low, normal, and high resolution settings, and perhaps even more depending on the camera) the other factor is format. For instance, I believe that many artists perfer the TIFF format, which is uncompressed and rather large, but offers you a lot of power in manipulating the image. Other formats invovle some sort of compression, jpeg for instance.

The second part of this is to make you aware of a number of free or open source image manipulation and photography software. Two are Picasa (free from Google http://www.picasa.com/) and Gimp (OSS from GNU http://www.gimp.org/). Good luck, and enjoy.

CD's hold about 750mb. So you then need to figure out the average file size of your photo.

Things that will change the file size.

Compressed vs uncompressed files.

JPG files are compressed and take up less room.

TIFF and RAW files are uncompressed files and take up much more space. Like said before some people like these because that give you more room to play with the photo. The RAW files are like negatives, the camera doesn't process the file, you will need to open it with something like photoshop and then make the photo. When using raw you set the White blance and everything after the fact. I almost never shoot in RAW unless I have a color balance problem.

Megapixel size.

When you buy a camera one of the main things you see is the Megapixel size. From things like 4 meg to 8meg and more. The large the size the larger the file.

ISO Setting

Most cameras set the ISO automatic but you can change this a lot of times. Lower ISO size like 100 will produce a smaller file size. An ISO of 1600 will produce a larger file size. You might notice that during the daytime you will get more photos on a memory card, lower ISO used and at night you get less photos due to the higher ISO.

I thought CDs held about 700 Mb (maybe 705 Mb depending on your CD-R software).

Opps you got me there.. Was thinking 650mb for the older ones and 700mb is the new CD's..

For the users of the Digital Rebels (D300).

I tend to backup 200 photos to a CD. I copy two entire folders such as "124CANON" and "125CANON" Then I will also backup about 14 folders to one DVD.

I have this all setup in a CD Case, one of those that holds around 66 CD's.

10,000 photos stored on both CD and DVD.

7 DVD's and 52 CD's holding two copies of everything.

My Problem is I have a Sony 7.2 mp camera--so all the pics are big files