Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RES20CUE

Seagrave 70th Anniversary Series

17 posts in this topic

As we know Mack was very widely used in Westchester, Seagrave was also very widely used.

The most classic fire engine model ever manufactured and the longest run of a model was the Seagrave "70th Anniversary Series". Manufactured between 1951 thru 1970.

Pumpers were available in Open Cab, Closed Cab, Canopy Cab, and the famous Sedan.

Aerials, Quads, and TDA's were available in Open (3 or 7 man), Canopy (3 or 7 man) and Closed (3 man).

Enough history on the vehicle-

What departments in Westchester operated these "70's"?

I know Somers operated 3 pumpers and 1 pumper/ tanker-

The 3 pumpers (Engine Companies 181, 182, and 183) were 750gpm closed cab with 500 gallon booster tanks. Engine 184 was a 750gpm closed cab with 1000 gallon tank, and the first tanker Seagrave built on the "70th" chassis.

Also Purchase operated a Quad.

I believe Mount Vernon had 1 or 2, also but not sure about-

Hastings, Port Chester, Rye?????

Hastings on Hudson had a 1962 Seagrave 70th Srs. Pumper that served Riverview Manor. A cool truck it had no doors, and an open cab.

Tarrytown had a 1962 Seagrave 70th Srs. Pumper in service at Riverside Hose. A beautiful truck, all white with a canopy cab. It served until 1989. I have a shot of this truck, I will try to post it in the coming days. Port Chester was mainly a Ward LaFrance department during the time period in question, and Rye was using Maxims.

New Rochelle definately had a Seagrave 70th Srs. Tiller with an open cab.

White Plains had several 70th Srs. open cab pumpers from around 1957. One of which made its way to Fairview as a muster piece after retirement from the big city.

Eastchester had a 1956 Seagrave 70th Srs. midship aerial.... the newspaper printed an aticle about the huge to do, as one commisioner questioned why they had purchased a Seagrave instead of ALF's like the prior deliveries.

Ardsley had two 70th Srs. Pumpers.... one was a 1955 open cab job, and the second was a 1963 open cab job that had a beautiful chrome nose..... lets see if Seth can get us a copy of the one. These rigs ran well until retirement in 1978 and 1988 respectively.

I cannot attest to Mt.Vernon's rigs or any additional New Rochelle units. But other than the one mentioned..... I think that is about all of them. Maxim, Ward Lafrance, and ALF had an almost strangle hold on the county at that point. Oren was very popular too.

Ardsley55Seagrave.jpg

(Original Photographer Unknown)

Here's a photo of Ardsley's '55 Seagrave. Sorry about the quality, it'a from a photocopy I made of the picture and I took a picture of that with my camera since I do not have my scanner up here.

I do have a picture of the '63 as well I beleive, I will have to find what I did with it which may take awhile.

And just note,although it isn't a 70th, Ardsley still has a Seagrave..a 1928 known as "Old Betsy" that is still serving. I wish they had kept one of the old 70th series though, too.

Purchase retired the 1957 Seagrave Quad in late 2003 with a new Seagrave TB Pumper, I believe Engine 240. At the time of my last visit, the intentions of the Purchase Fire Department was to maintain the quad as a parade piece and an antique.... efforts were being made to find adequate storage for the unit. The Seagrave was the second brand new fire engine Purchase bought, th first was a 1937 ALF Pumper (Similar in style to Scarsdales Antique, also a 1937 ALF)

A70.jpg

(Original Photographer Unclear,Date Unknown,From The Collection Of x635 Family)

Here's another photo of Ardsley 1955 Seagrave. Old Betsy can be seen behind.

:D Yes , Fairview members used this engine in Parades,Musters and rides for Fire Prevention Day at FFD headquarters.It was Known as Engine #7.I have photos of it!

The rig pumped from the Hudson River at the Croton Muster in 1982 ,, MPO was DC2Ts.

Chris498 said:

White Plains had several 70th Srs. open cab pumpers from around 1957. One of which made its way to Fairview as a muster piece after retirement from the big city.

Just to verify, does Somers still have Engine 182? It'd be a crime if they didn't, lol :D

Yes,

Engine 182 is still in service! It is located at Somers House, 2nd Due Engine. It is basically a spare, but still sees occasional front line service from time to time.

182 was removed from front line service in 1990. Not permanently removed from service.

And the seagrave owners website photos are not found, we know they are there and we (ok I) put them there and is linked on the SomersVFD website.

Thanks for looking!

Peekskill FD had Seagraves for a long time.

Off the top of my head...

Ladder 45 - Cortlandt Hook & Ladder, 100 FT Ladder w/ Open Cab.

Engine 131 - Columbian Engine, Open Cab

Engine 132 - Coumbian Hose, Open Cab

I will never forget the PURRRRRRR... of Ladder 45 as it rolled thru town.

It was almost as loud as the Federal Q.

Edited by RWC130

long ridge fire co. in stamford had 2 anniversarys, a 63 & a 65 i believe. they also owned a 30, 40 & 50. they still own the 50.

Peekskill E-131 had a 1927 Seagrave a 1948 and a 1967 open cab Seagrave all 1000 GPM pumps, E-132 had a 1929 a 1948 and a 1968 also a open cab all 1000 GPM pumps L-45 had a 1915 Seagrave 75ft aerial a 1946 85ft midship and a 1967 100ft midship open cab til 1988.

I remember Harrison had a 65? tiller (L-24) engine 12 was an open cab fitted with a top and engine 10 was a seagrave (corgi model now) i do not recall the years of the engine's.

Livingston Hose Company, Dobbs Ferry Fire Dept. had a canopy cab version, I believe it to have been approx. 1941 Model, Placed in reserve status when the 1963 Maxim was delivered and retired in 1977 when there Seagrave (presently reserve engine 49) was delivered

Back to the "70th Anniversary Series" and not all the other Seagrave's out there-

It is my understanding that a die-cast model company is finally going to produce Somers Engine 182!

They came and took over 200 pictures of her back in 2004 for the mold, and fortunitly I have an original Seagrave blue-print drawing of her and her 2 sisters, which also became very valuable in the design phase.

I'm not spilling any more beans then that, but it should be released during 2006, for our 75th Anniversary, although probally not in time for our parade in May, but at least by the end of the year!!

Peekskill TL45's Former 1967 Seagrave Retired in 1988

Edited by firekid119