Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PCFD ENG58

June 30 1974 24 lost in Night Club fire in Port Chester

5 posts in this topic

39 years ago I pulled up with Patrol 4 [ now Rescue 40] to find Gullevers fully invovled with engines 58 and 62 ingaged in a full atack on a bad fire. 24 died that night but little was told how over 100 were saved. Many firefighters went down that night going above and beyond the call. Most of us old guys think about this every day of our lives and wished we could have done better with our 3/4 boots two airpacks to a rig and red fireball gloves. There were no paper firefighters and keyboard firefighters that night! .

I know my old man tells how they formed a human chain of ff's to reach and pulled many out. He still tears up when some one mentions Gullivers.

Incidents such as that one definitely leave a 'mark' on every firefighter who operated at the scene.

My father grew up in neighboring Greenwich, CT and was living in Cos Cob at the time. He remembers the fire well. A young man who lived at the beginning of his street was killed in the fire. A very tragic fire. I can't even imagine what it must have been like for the guys on scene, like PCFD ENG58.