x635

Faceshields Not Suitable For Training?

3 posts in this topic

TEEX - Annual Texas Fire Training Schools

Attention Annual School participants! Firefighting helmets fitted with Bourke flip down shields and or goggles will NOT be permitted on any exterior burn prop due to insufficient protection against LPG, 3-dimensional, and liquid spill fire scenarios. NFPA 1971 approved helmets with OEM faceshields are required.

It says bourkes and or goggles are not sufficient. The it says NFPA 1971 helmets with OEM faceshields are required.

Bourkes = NO

Bourkes & goggles =NO

Goggles = NO

NFPA helemt with OEM shield = Yes

So what are you asking?

I know the 3-D fire props we went through at the University of Reno-Carlin and the old "Ranger Insurance" LPG fire trainer both would easily reach out and touch you if any part of your gear broke the plane of the fog lines. I assume they are concerned with same? Bourke (pretty much decorative) and goggles are designed for eye protection against flying debris, typically exterior firefighting won't involve direct flame contact unless your packed up and in close, thus eye protection for most exterior ops is suitable. Gases under pressure present a different issue. I know for a while Maine BLS wanted firefighters to wear facepeices or oversized face shields when doing mechanical extrication! Thanks to cooler heads that didn't become widespread.