Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
21Truck

Employment and body modifications

5 posts in this topic

I'm curious to know if dept.s disqualify someone if they have body modifications such as tattoos and piercings. I mean right now I only have my ears pierced and have had them that way for over 10 years and have gone from a slightly bigger then normal size back to a small size so they are easy to take out and not be to noticed for when I apply to a hiring dept. And I have several tattoos covering ym forearms and am planning on more work on my lower arms and wonder if i'd be bypassed after say an interview or testing and being seen with all my ink. I know many people have tattoos but is this a problem especially when going to apply?

You always run the risk of being stereotyped by the interviewer. However, at the same time you might get lucky and be interviewed by a fellow tatoo'd person. Today, body mods aren't considered as much of a fringe behavior. In the recent past you might have been automatically passed by because of it.

I would reconsider any addition to your tatoo inventory until you're established in your career of choice. If you think about it you might only be delaying your additions for a year or two. In the big picture that really isn't that long.

Also, for the interview I would not wear any pierced jewelry, just in case. It's not worth the chance of blowing your chances because of a trivial principle such as that. Especially a homophobe who doesn't know his right from his left...

However, I would be very cautious about wearing pierced jewelry in a working fire. Gold and silver are pretty efficient heat conductors and if the blank hit the fan I wouldn't want to increase the extent of my injuries for a nose ring.

haha i hear ya...i'm not one for body piercings...just always had my ears done...but yea you do have a point..years ago I probably would be passed because I hgave tattoos and such but now they are finally really being accepted more then they have been before which is nice..but only time will tell I guess

Is there a reason why you guys wouldn't take you ear jelery out and wear a long sleved shirt w/ tie at an interview? I would stay away from any ink work on neck/face/hands, other than that you should be OK.

I think that it should not really be an issue unless you have some real non Kosher stuff inked on your body(ie. racial hate crap and the like) i to agree that you should hold off on new ink.