Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arbrow06

EMS Interview Tips

6 posts in this topic

Anyone want to recommend some general tips when interviewing for an EMS job? (EMT/AEMT-P/Dispatcher/SupplyTech)

Have a pulse....... :blink: That's a joke, but there may be a bit of truth due to the extremely low pay in this career. The pay is causing the character of employee simply because of this.

My advice for any interview, not just for in the emergency service field is the following :

Wear a suit - Navy or Grey is best, but black will do (black is a tad bit formal)

Wear a white dress shirt and a tie. Neutral color tie is proper, no funky patterns

Wear dress socks and shoes.

Get a haircut the day before, shave the morning of and groom your fingernails.

Arrive to the interview 15-20 minutes early and leave home with ample time to spare in case of traffic or car trouble.

Shake hands with a medium grip. Firm, but not so you crush knuckles, yet not to the point of a dead fish handshake feeling

Make eye contact with handshakes and while talking to your interviewer.

Maintain good posture while in the interview with your back straight while sitting and your hands forward in front of you. DO NOT cross arms as this is a body language sign that you are hiding something.

Always answer the question being asked to the best of your ability. Nothing more and nothing less. DO NOT volunteer any information you aren't being asked as this make open doors to further questions that you may not be prepared to answer. Ask for clarification if the question being asked is not totally clear to you.

Do not ramble or repeat yourself while answering any questions

Always be honest. If you lie or stretch the truth, it always will be discovered at some point.

Be polite and be respectful. (Yes Sir No Maim)

Thank them for their time and consideration after the interview

Hope this helps

PEMO3, Patch6713, sueg and 4 others like this

Good advice above. Would also add not to be shy about previous experience. Even if you only did a ride along somewhere include that. Something you may think is not worth mentioning sometimes clues the interviewer to the fact that you are genuinely interested in the field and that it is not just a "job" to you. Would also add prepare some follow up questions. It is very awkward at the end if they ask if you have any questions and you say no. Some good ones I have used are "What are your favorite parts about working here?" or "What is the next step in the process?". It shows you are interested in them (who doesn't like talking about themselves?), that you are prepared and as a bonus you may get some extra info about the job. Good luck!

EMTBrian likes this

I agree with wiscems, have some follow up questions. Definitly shows interest. The question I always ask is what is something to the extent of what are the next steps from here. This hopefully will get you a time table of when they are planning on conducting more interviews, appointing someone, or getting back in contact with you. This way you know if they will be calling you when you get back home or two weeks later.

I also set up an email address that I use primarily for job interviews. It is professional (first name last name) instead of your common email that may be a little less formal or professional.

I also was told that when they (interviewers/employer/supervisors) call you not to answer the phone. Let it go to voicemail. Listen to the voicemail. This may give you some clues as to why they are calling so you can prepare yourself. And call them back when you are in a quiet place, with a pen and paper, and ready to answer questions. This way when they want you to write something down you don't have to fumble around or your not in a place that sounds like you have a rock concert in the back ground. Also, with this, make sure that your voice mail is professional for when it rings through.

If possible, before the interview, try and find out how many people will be interviewing you. Make a packet for each of these interviewers with a copy of your application, your resume, cover letter, and any other items you may need (copy of your EMT car) and put it in a nice folder or envelope. This way you can give them a copy when you start your interview, even though they may have a copy. And always have an extra copy in case there is more than the anticipated interviewers there and if not you can always use that copy for yourself as if you planned it that way.

And finally, try and be as relaxed as possible, while still staying professional. Going to an interview is stressful anyway you look at it. But, if you are well prepared, well dress, and confident in yourself it will be a much better experience for you and it will be noticed in a positive way by your interviewers. This is not to be interpreted, though, to be overconfident and cocky.

EMTBrian likes this

FF1 nailed it pretty good. I have nothing to do with hiring, but the folks that do have no shortage of stories about the folks coming in in shorts, poor grammer in writing and speech, arrogant attitudes etc. You are interviewing for a job that will have you managing people in medical crisis, so you need to show you can manage yourself in an interview.

My add is to maybe study the EMT or medic book. If you are interviewing for an EMS job, than EMS questions are fair game and you should be prepared to answer them.

Get there early, answer Mam or Sir, bring copies of you resume and certs, answer questions directly, and simply relax and be prepared. Business attire.