x635

Hoboken volunteer EMT stabbed in stomach while on a call

35 posts in this topic

Starting to bang head against wall.......what is your advice on dealing with the emotional and legal aftermath in EMS if a provider shoots a patient or someone on scene? How would you compensate the provider for the extra responsibility? Where is the line between help and hurt?

I have been shooting and been around firearms since a young age... If you knew anything about classes you would know that the NRA "FIRST" Steps firearm class takes a weekend.

How is being around firearms since a young age qualify you to make statements regarding EMS carrying weapons? Are you even old enough to own your own weapon? Are you a certified EMT or Paramedic? If YOU truly knew anything about the NRA classes, you would know THEY ARE NOT INTENDED for using a weapon in the way you are advocating it be used. You are also advocating using a weapon offensively by using it to intimidate people.

Im not stubborn, or closed minded. I am standing up for what i believe in just as you are standing up for what you believe in.. You believe EMS Shouldn't Have FireArms... and I do.. How is that stubborn or closed Minded... Lmao :P:P:P

If you get on the job, you are going to get yourself into serious trouble with that attitude. You're not standing up for what you believe in, nor are you reading what other members are writing. All you are doing is spouting off how proud you are of your "belief". You're not even stimulating conversation or adding anything to back up this "belief".

I can see the headlines now........... "EMT Shoots 80 year old dementia patient, claims he was being assaulted", "EMT Pulls Weapon On Drug Dealer With No Backup, Gets Shot".......

BFD1054 likes this

Starting to bang head against wall.......what is your advice on dealing with the emotional and legal aftermath in EMS if a provider shoots a patient or someone on scene? How would you compensate the provider for the extra responsibility? Where is the line between help and hurt?

How is being around firearms since a young age qualify you to make statements regarding EMS carrying weapons? Are you even old enough to own your own weapon? Are you a certified EMT or Paramedic? If YOU truly knew anything about the NRA classes, you would know THEY ARE NOT INTENDED for using a weapon in the way you are advocating it be used. You are also advocating using a weapon offensively by using it to intimidate people.

If you get on the job, you are going to get yourself into serious trouble with that attitude. You're not standing up for what you believe in, nor are you reading what other members are writing. All you are doing is spouting off how proud you are of your "belief". You're not even stimulating conversation or adding anything to back up this "belief".

I can see the headlines now........... "EMT Shoots 80 year old dementia patient, claims he was being assaulted", "EMT Pulls Weapon On Drug Dealer With No Backup, Gets Shot".......

Lol.... Assume what you want...... Im not going to continue to fight with you about this... You have your opinion and I have mine... What do you mean by "belief" Im pretty sure its not a belief and more of an opinion... But hey! You do you buddy!

Lol.... Assume what you want...... Im not going to continue to fight with you about this... You have your opinion and I have mine... What do you mean by "belief" Im pretty sure its not a belief and more of an opinion... But hey! You do you buddy!

ADDED: And just a heads up... The NRA Defensive class is for these kind of purposes. But hey! Have a good night

The problem with this entire argument is that 99% of EMS personnel are civilians and as such have almost no provision for using deadly force under the law. Unless every EMT is made to take the NYS Peace Officer course and then the Peace Officer w/ Firearms course, and is then designated an armed peace officer by the municipality they operate in and/or are employed by, giving an EMT a firearm in New York is like giving them a "Go Directly to Jail" card. Civilians in NYS have a "duty to retreat," that is if there is any conceivable way for you to remove yourself from a situation without being threatened by imminent death, you're expected to do so. If EMS personnel are threatened by a patient and PD is not on scene they are expected to leave until the scene is made safe. If you find yourself cornered in an apartment bedroom by an aggressive EDP and you decide to use deadly force you're going to have a damn hard time proving to a jury you couldn't have avoided that situation in the first place; no amount of NRA classes will save you from doing a dime upstate for manslaughter.

Holy cow! I know it's a sensitive topic, but wow. I merely stated an opinion, that I know would NEVER happen, and would never carry on the job. I know my protocols, I know what I would do in a hairy situation in reality. Again, just an opinion. I know I would never feel comfortable with some of my partners carrying. I'll keep my mouth shut next time. Talk about "stirring the pot".

Our right to protect ourselves is one of our very few primal right. We put always have the the risk of putting ourselves into a challenging situation no matter how detailed or precise our precautions are. Today's society is a dangerous one to anyone who ventures into it, and we as "EMS Folk" are not immune nor invincible to this fact. The basic primal right of any being is to return deadly force when faced with deadly force to protect ourselves. It should be the voice of the provider if they shall carry a concealed weapon, with the acceptance of the fellow crew member(s). But any such provider who does so should be prepared to take life in defense at a seconds notice, even when our basic funtion as providers is to sustain and give/return life. They must be certain, that they can manage the effects of having to do so should that ever arises. Our world is far too dangerous for the public to believe we are naive enough to think that the "universal white flag with a Red Cross" protects us as a "non-combatant" in function. After all, the primary directive in EMS is personal safety.

Now before people start banging down my door, and before AntMan takes a chance to jump on my band wagon... AntMan... if YOU have NEVER worked in EMS, then i kindly suggest you keep your so-called "Professional: opinions to yourself... its like asking a blind man his professional opinion on the Mona Lisa.

Nor for the rest of you, you all have valid points, as do I... Opinions people, opinions, thats all they are. Of course there are individuals I work with that I would even trust with a peashooter of a .17 cal firearm. But keep in mind, there are ems providers out there who would fit the bill of being armed. whether or not it ever becomes policy, i dont much care. I was simply making my opinion... and no one can deny that i hit the proverbial nail on the head with my little spiel.... Let the Fun start again!