Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
38ff

Combo electrical generator and hydralic pump for rescue trucks?

5 posts in this topic

All,

I am looking for any information on combination hydraulicaly driven electrical generators (10-20KW) AND Hurst tool power units. Any good/bad points on them? Do they work as advertised? I'd like to combine the generator and hurst tool pump into one unit.

Thanks!

x635 likes this

I would say bad is that you lose both when you lose one. So you blow a line or a fitting for the tool and you have to forfeit the entire unit till it is repaired. Any reason you want to combine both? Why not just use an electric one? That way you can change power units if you want to go to a different brand or different pressure.

looking at saving space on the truck. Someone suggested Smart Power Liberator series. http://www.smartpower.com/products/liberator/index.php

Any experience with these or others???

We understand putting all eggs in one basket, but we will be retaining a gas powered Hurst power unit and Honda Generators on the truck as backup, in addition to 12V "engine alternator" scene lighting.

Our current Rescue has a PTO powered 20KW genny that powers all scene lighting and also the onboard electrically powered hurst tool pump.

x635 likes this

We have an Onan pto driven pump (different sizes on different units) with an XRT tool power head. Takes up no room (frame mounted) and the mechanic says he will never let us go back to hydraulic generators again. There were some issues with the vendor not plumbing the tool curcit properly and you have to consider the length of your plumbing runs, but its a good system

x635 and markmets415 like this