Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

NYPD To Get "New" Commisioner - Plans Significant Changes

4 posts in this topic

Bratton Is Expected to Reshape Police to Rebuild Relationship With Public

The incoming New York police commissioner, William J. Bratton, provided few details on Thursday about his plans for his second stint running the nation’s largest police force, but people familiar with his thinking said there would be significant changes in personnel, priorities and how the department is organized and run.

Full article: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/06/nyregion/bratton-is-expected-to-reshape-police-to-rebuild-relationship-with-public.html?_r=0

It remains to be seen what Bill Bratton will do. I do like him and I worked under him during his first term.

But, we must remember that during Bratton 1.0, he was working under Rudy Giuliani, a Pro-Police Mayor who wanted results and really did not care what others thought of how he did things. He set the Police free to to a job. Rudy was not afraid of how things went, he wanted results and would deal with the blow back later. Even then, Bratton only lasted two years. (The term "pro-police" regarding Rudy is used loosely, meaning he wanted crime reduced, he was not, necessarily, very "pro-police" to the cops themselves)

DeBlasio is a different kind of Mayor. I do not think he will be the "pro police" mayor that Rudy was. Deblasio wants the Police reigned in. It remains to be seen if he will let Bratton do whatever he wants to get the job done. During Bratton 2.0, I think there will be a bit more answering to what this new City Hall wants and the way it wants it done.

I do not think the "new" Bratton will be the same as the "old" Bratton. I could be wrong, but lets see what happens.

Edited by 10512

should this help those waiting to get hired by the NYPD?