Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

60- and 40-Watt Bulbs Banned for 2014

6 posts in this topic

On Jan. 1, 2014, it will be lights out for standard incandescent 60- and 40-watt light bulbs. In order to comply with efficiency standards outlined in the Energy Independence and Security Act, which was signed into law by President George Bush in 2007, it will be illegal to manufacture or import them after Dec. 31. But retailers will still be able to sell off any remaining stock. In 2012, all 100-watt bulbs were phased out, and 75-watt bulbs disappeared the following year.

http://shine.yahoo.com/at-home/60-40-watt-bulbs-banned-2014-know-211800860.html

Yay big government! Maybe they can outlaw the sun next.

99subi likes this

CFLs contain Mercury. Lets see if the Hazmat calls increase.

From EPA, They recomend that people download and print the folowing incase a bulb breaks:

http://www2.epa.gov/cfl/cleaning-broken-cfl Before Cleanup
  • Have people and pets leave the room.
  • Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.
  • Shut off the central forced air heating/air-conditioning system, if you have one.
  • Collect materials needed to clean up broken bulb:
    • stiff paper or cardboard;
    • sticky tape;
    • damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes (for hard surfaces); and
    • a glass jar with a metal lid or a sealable plastic bag.

During Cleanup

• DO NOT VACUUM. Vacuuming is not recommended unless broken glass remains after all other cleanup steps have been taken. Vacuuming could spread mercury-containing powder or mercury vapor.
  • Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder. Scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard. Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder. Place the used tape in the glass jar or plastic bag. See the detailed cleanup instructions for more information, and for differences in cleaning up hard surfaces versus carpeting or rugs.
  • Place cleanup materials in a sealable container.

After Cleanup

• Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials, including vacuum cleaner bags, outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of. Avoid leaving any bulb fragments or cleanup materials indoors.
  • Next, check with your local government about disposal requirements in your area, because some localities require fluorescent bulbs (broken or unbroken) be taken to a local recycling center. If there is no such requirement in your area, you can dispose of the materials with your household trash.
  • If practical, continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours.

If you have further questions, please call your local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.

Meh, whatever. Or, good. Electricity isn't free, nor are the fossil fuels used to make it endless. I switched to CF bulbs over the last couple of years. New ones throw the exact same light as an old incandescent bulb.

I don't like big government, but sometimes we need a push in the right direction.

wraftery likes this

Years ago, I started switching, as did thousands of others, to energy star rated appliances, cfl's /leds, and water saving devices. The electric company soon realized that all this saving by the people was hurting their bottom line. So as people use less electricity, rates go up. All the switching didn't save me a thing as I now pay more to use less.

Add in the hundreds of jobs lost in the US because of this as manufacturers closed plants and the mercury laden cfls creating new types pollution sources and problems.

Additionally, while using less energy to operate, cfl and led bulbs, when compared to incandescent bulbs, use more energy, precious and toxic metals to produce. The bulbs are also EPA classified as hazardous waste.

How many homeowners are hanging on to their burned out cfl or led waiting for the annual county hazardous waste collection (Which costs them money and time)?

Give me my Edison back.

99subi likes this

Increase in gas prices nudged many to change the vehicles they drive (hybrid/electric/diesel/etc).

Would dramatic increase in electricity prices do the same? I don't know about many others, but for my home, the delivery charge is far more than my generation charge. (I live in MA where I can choose my electric company so the charges are separated.)

I agree, CFL do not give the same light but I think the more recent LED are getting much better (but still too expensive).

M' Ave likes this