Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PVFD113

Croton Parade

15 posts in this topic

Any one know the details on the parade tomorrow? Aside from tomorrow at 1300--like the route and # of attending companies?

PVFD....

I'm not 100% sure of the parade route. I do know that Companies line up in the area's of Old Post Rd. South at the intersections of Truesdale Dr. & Morningside Dr. The parade route usually goes along Old Post Rd. & ends at Grand St. at the Summerfest street festival, near the Grand Street Firehouse (E118/TL44).

Take Route 9 South to the Croton Point Ave. (Croton Train Station) exit. At the bottom of the exit ramp make a left onto Croton Point Ave. & go to the light (South Riverside Ave.). There will be an Exxon gas station on your left. Make a left onto S. Riverside Ave. & go to your next light (1 block). This will be Benedict Blvd. Make a right onto Benedict Blvd. and you'll start to see where all the companies are lined up.

If you want a good place to watch the parade...I'd suggest standing near the High School on Old Post Rd. South. This is a nice area to watch the parade from, not to mention its only about 2 blocks from the end of the route & the Street Fest!

As far as companies in attendance....

Its usually Buchanan, Montrose, Verplanck, Ossining, Peekskill, Mohegan, Briarcliff, Yorktown, Sleepy Hollow and so on. Those are just the ones i can think of.

Trophies I recall....

Best Overall - Ossining

Best Regulation - Verplanck

Best Dress - Buchanan

Best Engine - Putnam Valley

Best Aerial - East Fishkill

Best Rescue - Ossining

Best Chiefs Car - Putnam Valley

Best Ambulance - Ossining VAC

Best Ambulance Corps - Cortlandt VAC =D>

Best Something or other - Westchester Brassmen

Thanks to all who came. It was HOT AS HELL and as HUMID as, well I won't go there. Thanks big time to Cortlandt VAC, Ossining VAC and our Fly-Car for their assistance with our multiple heat stress patients. Today was a busy one for us, and I am PRAYING it's over for the night!

Beautiful day for a parade--if ya like the heat!! Had a blast--thanks to Croton for hosting us!!

Thanks Croton, hell of a parade as usual! Its always an awesome parade and a fun time!

For parade season, 2 things are gaurunteed; It will rain for the Montrose parade & it will be hotter than hell for Croton lol!

Kudos to Cortlandt VAC, Croton FD-EMS & the Tri-Village medic (OVAC) for running around all day treating heat-related medical calls. =D>

Don't forget the OVAC bike as well - she did a hell of a job! =D>

The parade was good, but would be much better without the damn Village street fair. Attendance was poor for the parade with a couple cancellations. I believe if we went with a parade separate from the Village festivities the parade would be 100% better, possibly more depts. What other Depts. don't like us?? We only get the neighbors, kinda lame!! Oh well, Croton's apparatus looked awesome, and most of the other Depts. looked very well. How about that Haz-Mat 3! R-18 who? lol

Pleasantville would have come but there where 2 big reasons why.

1. We just had our parade on friday (also montrose parade on friday)

2. I wouldn't get a good showing for a sunday parade. I would be lucky to have 10 people in the line of march. I would really only have about 5 at the most.

Ferg & Ferg are right, Sundays suck!

I would like to see us have a parade on a Wednesday night, from 5 Corners to the Train Station - or something like that. I miss when we were kids and parades came down the Blvd. And, because I hate judged parades, we should do Summerfest for the community - and let the guys blow the sirens and have a blast! Leave the judging (if any) to the Wednesday night parade!!!

Hey Capt I totally agree...Judged parades have become boring.. Don't you wish we could run it all, and make everything our way.. Definitely getting played out, with the higher ups not doing there jobs correctly. I think even a Frday night parade would be better, let the companies enjoy the parade and the festivities afterwards..

You guys remember the county parade we had a few years back? Without the street fair we had about 150 people along the entire parade route. Other than us firefighters it seems no one cares.

That was a joke! You'd think more people would of came out. But it becomes more and more obvious to me each year that our community could care less about us. How many of our Village residents have actually joined the Department in the last couple of years? Out of the last 5 that joined our Company, only one is from the Village, and that's because she still lives at home. Not to mention that most of the businesses in our community didn't want to donate anything to us either.

Mad love from our peers.....NOT!

Like i've said, lets go back to the days of having fun at parades! Lets hit the sirens, blow the air-horns & wave to the spectators! I'm sure plenty of kids that watch the parades ask their mommies & daddies why the firefighters aren't waving back at them. That just sucks!

These parades are for us, the firefighters, to come out & have fun & catch up with friends from other depts. They're also for the community to come out and support us. But as John stated, the communities seem to be less & less caring when it comes to their emergency service providers. It seemed like poor attendance in both Montrose & Croton. I'm sure the weather was a factor at both, but its just piss poor that we don't get better turn-outs!

Katonah had their parade the other night (Wednesday?) and i'm sure it was awesome. We weren't invited this year, but i know we all had a great time last year! There were alot of departments, alot of spectators and plenty of fun to be had! The fact that we ended the night by reserving a table for about 30 of us at the Katonah bar & grill just added to the great night we had lol! I don't remember what night it was on last year, but it was a competition parade. From whati understand, they had an excellent turn out the other night. Like John said, a week night would be a great time for a fun parade! Would probably get a great turn-out at around 7:00pm. The summer time is tough, especially the weekends, because alot of families are on vacation, away for the weekend or off having bbq's somewhere.

Not sure if it is allowed but Pville has a sign that says no more sirens after a certain point. I love that parade, even though we won nothing and it rained, but a lot of people show up and just when you think no one is left you turn the corner and it is a block party. Great job this year chief.

bfd and everyone else is right its taking parades are taking way to seriously. Im all for waving to the kids and blowing the sirens etc. THEY SUCK the only reason i go is to support my company, department and the chiefs but it should be for the the community. plus im not a big parade guy anyway its all fixed and its less time drilling while perparing for a stupid trophy. OK maybe trophies arent stupid thier good but when you have a 1984 mack that looks like no other and looks like its a 2005 and you dont win anything its kind of annoying to bust your a** all year long for a dumb take up space waster. ahh some people might feel differnt but hey thats me. :D