x635

Outrigger Plates

3 posts in this topic

I've noticed some new ladder plates being delivered with outrigger plates being built in.

I can see the pros, but I can also se cons.

One of the pros is that is saves time setting up. I know about spreading the weight, but is it necessary in every situation? (versus standard ladder plates)

No it isn't. But get 60k pounds on a unsettled surface and you will be answering a lot of questions as to why they were not used. Personally I have seen them used twice, and each time was because it was a new chauffeur and that was what they were taught. Having them built in will create the issue when you need to set up in between parked cars, you went from making it to taking off two bumpers, or taking out the back seat to know taking out the back seat and the trunk of that police car lol.

wraftery likes this

I've noticed some new ladder plates being delivered with outrigger plates being built in.

I can see the pros, but I can also se cons.

One of the pros is that is saves time setting up. I know about spreading the weight, but is it necessary in every situation? (versus standard ladder plates)

Interesting, I've not seen that. Any particular manufacturers or units? I'd think that most, with the exception of the radial style (Aerialscope) would not be able to make this work due to the jack position when stowed. To have the outermost point flush with the body makes the centerpoint of the down jack 8-12" in making for a small footprint.