Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ed Harvey

(CT) State police investigating fake emergency transmissions

6 posts in this topic

On christmas eve this imposter signed on the air for a chimney fire as a DC from 1 community (warren car 2) which is 3 towns away from the actual incident town (Morris) and he "arrived on scene and said nothing showing cancel everyone" yet the caller stated fire and smoke in the house and the Morris chief (car 1) showed up and concurred that they indeed had actual incident going on, no clue if this imposter was ever actually on scene of just talking outta his you know what, what's freighting is what is this guys intentions? Is he seeing how the fd/ems responds to catch us off guard one day and pull some stunt or what.

markmets415 likes this

We had a similar case many years ago in Stamford that involved fake marine distress calls. I know that federal charges were brought against the culprits after they were found. It was a cooperation between the USCG, our Marine Police, The police on land (including a USCG veteran who carried marine charts in his patrol car) and a couple of us in Dispatch helping to match up the various maps in use. That case was the first conviction of a relatively new law.

I am not sure that being familiar with the lingo makes the suspect a member or ex-member of one of the services, as much of this information is readily available. Even in the pre-internet days I could get a book at Radio Shack with a somewhat accurate list of codes and signals. Now there are many sites with similar information and so many places use the same or similar codes or even plain language which makes it much easier to fake.

Maybe it is time to adopt a secret code like a color of the day and cancellations or upgrades are not accepted without the password.

Funny thing is his "lingo" isn't what is said up here, "start me medic unit and ambulance" yeah no that's not what is used.

Not exactly new news. This has been happening for decades all over the place.

Too many buffs with too many portable radios.

Better yet would be the actual verification of people buying all the amateur radios. When I first was issued my FCC lic you went to a ham shop and they checked it, now you can order a 'commercial' radio online for 130 bucks and romp on a frequency all day long and they will never find you, especially if you are moving.