Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Wearing Structural Turnout Gear On EMS Calls?

33 posts in this topic

First, I have never seen anything addressing the prohibiton of shorts or the recomendation of pants for anyone in EMS in any OHSA or DOH document. In other fields there is extensive information concerning things like foot wear and clothing requiremnets. Every document concernign exposure control address using masks, gowns and eye protection at your discretion to prevent exposure and to uses gloves and needle-stick prevention devices at all times. According to OSHA you are not considered "exposed" until the fluid comes into contact with a mucose membrane (eyes, nose, mouth) or broken skin.

In one Canadian study of 509,312 patients in 12 hospitals there were 2,621 exposure incidents (0.5%) Of those, 65% were caused by needle sticks. Of the 2,621 exposure incidents 12% were infected with Hep B, Hep C, or HIV. 6 months later anit-bodies for Hep B, Hep C, and HIV were present in 0%, 36% and 20% respectively of those exposed.

To break it down, lets assume that that in the EMS field we have a 10 times greater exposure risk than in Canadian hospitals (thats based on absolutely no fact). We are still only facing a chance of exposure to Hep B, Hep C, or HIV in 2 of every thousand patients we treat. And this doesn't mean wearing pants will protect us from this. This still doesn't eliminate mucosal exposure, bites, cuts sustained durring treatment, exposure to our hands and arms, etc. Wearing pants does not provide a significant increase in safety.

First, I have never seen anything addressing the prohibiton of shorts or the recomendation of pants for anyone in EMS in any OHSA or DOH document.  In other fields there is extensive information concerning things like foot wear and clothing requiremnets.  Every document concernign exposure control address using masks, gowns and eye protection at your discretion to prevent exposure and to uses gloves and needle-stick prevention devices at all times.  According to OSHA you are not considered "exposed" until the fluid comes into contact with a mucose membrane (eyes, nose, mouth) or broken skin.

In one Canadian study of 509,312 patients in 12 hospitals there were 2,621 exposure incidents (0.5%)  Of those, 65% were caused by needle sticks.  Of the 2,621 exposure incidents 12% were infected with Hep B, Hep C, or HIV.  6 months later anit-bodies for Hep B, Hep C, and HIV were present in 0%, 36% and 20% respectively of those exposed.

To break it down, lets assume that that in the EMS field we have a 10 times greater exposure risk than in Canadian hospitals (thats based on absolutely no fact).  We are still only facing a chance of exposure to Hep B, Hep C, or HIV in 2 of every thousand patients we treat.  And this doesn't mean wearing pants will protect us from this.  This still doesn't eliminate mucosal exposure, bites, cuts sustained durring treatment, exposure to our hands and arms, etc.  Wearing pants does not provide a significant increase in safety.

WHOA WHOA!!!! Time Out. :) I simply stated I was TOLD by a DOH rep. We had an argument in our squad about the shorts issue and I called the office and spoke to someone who answered my questions. I never stated it was policy, or written in stone with the ten commandments of EMS. Just contributing what little I knew on the subject of shorts. I personally dont want to gamble as highly as you are with the no open skin thing. Just wanted to offer the best knowledge I could to my squad at the next meeting and called DOH for advice. We ended up buying coveralls, and putting reflective trim on them with our patch so everyone had something to wear in the summer over their shorts. That was cheap, and effective, just another option instead of turnouts. :)

I smell

Yes you do.

watch out with oxygen and dirty turnout gear hydrocarbons and oxygen dont mix very well