Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JM15

East Moriches (LI) Chief Car Stolen

6 posts in this topic

Interesting article

Two bold joyriders led police on a wild chase across Long Island Sunday morning after stealing a Suffolk County fire chief’s idling SUV from a fire station parking lot, cops said.

The crooks hopped into the red 2012 Chevy Tahoe at around 1 a.m. after East Moriches Fire Chief Bryan Kelly left it parked with the engine running outside the Center Moriches Fire Department headquarters, cops said.

I love that the excuse for not securing his vehicle was that he needed to leave the heat on to keep the EMS supplies warm. Except for my corps issued AED, everything else stays in my car overnight, it's not really a big deal. There is a simple solution to this problem though. All vehicles in my VAC have two keys to the vehicle on the key chain, one being on a breakaway magnetic key chain. That way, you can leave the vehicle running, and take the break away key and lock the vehicle with the key in it and the vehicle still running, very simple solution.

EmsFirePolice likes this

After reading the article I have to ask what kind of drugs did this FIRE CHIEF carry?

A simple secure-idle or similar device could have prevented the theft. Even a hidden shift switch (A switch that has to be engaged with the brake pedal to shift into drive.) could have deterred the thief's.