Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tommyguy

3-Alarm Fire In Yonkers - Two-Family House

5 posts in this topic

I didn't see a news report on this until this morning and I don't have a rundown on company assignments. Sounds like most Yonkers' companies were there and undoubtedly MA was used as well.

Third Precinct Police Officers James Feehan and Eric Giusto were on routine patrol in the Park Hill and McLean avenue area Sunday morning when they noticed smoke swirling around the area.The two Yonkers police officers spotted heavy smoke gushing from the rear of 434 Park Hill Ave. at 8:42 a.m. They called the fire department, Yonkers Detective Lt. Patrick McCormack said.

News link with video

The houses are located very close together on that block of Park Hill Avenue and keeping the fire contained, YFD Chief Brian Travers said, was a top priority. Tough job but handled very well.

"Everyone left the three buildings safely, McCormack said. But, (the 2 police officers) were both injured. Both had to be taken to a local hospital for treatment for smoke inhallation also. None of the occupants of the building or the pets was injured, Sherwin said." One would think that if the PO's suffered smoke inhalation, the people who they reportedly removed from the burning house certainly would have been subjected to the smoke for a much longer period of time than the PO's yet none of the civilians required treatment.

One might think that... But one doesn't know the location of the civilians in the building and how far into the rapidly deteriorating conditions the officers pushed themselves to ensure everyone else was out. One might also be glad that their injuries were relatively minor compared to what they could have been given the situation.

I'd say helluva job boys...

jd783 likes this

One might think that... But one doesn't know the location of the civilians in the building and how far into the rapidly deteriorating conditions the officers pushed themselves to ensure everyone else was out. One might also be glad that their injuries were relatively minor compared to what they could have been given the situation.

I'd say helluva job boys...

As far as I know, the YFD has an excellent average response time, so unless there was a delayed alarm to the F.D. for some reason, it's highly unlikely that any non F.D. personnel were subjected to rapidly deteriorating conditions while pushing themselves beyond the abilities of mortal men as they should only have been on the scene for a few minutes prior to F.D. arrival.... BTW, I too am pleased that the PO's weren't seriously injured.

Edited by bad box

"Everyone left the three buildings safely, McCormack said. But, (the 2 police officers) were both injured. Both had to be taken to a local hospital for treatment for smoke inhallation also. None of the occupants of the building or the pets was injured, Sherwin said." One would think that if the PO's suffered smoke inhalation, the people who they reportedly removed from the burning house certainly would have been subjected to the smoke for a much longer period of time than the PO's yet none of the civilians required treatment.

I believe I read somewhere that the officers were transported to the Hospital because they fell on the ice trying to get people out and one officer had a back injury and one had a leg injury