Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gold Five

Question about commercial EMS in the Hudson Valley

14 posts in this topic

I am taking my EMT B course now and am taking the state written and practicals in June. What are my chances of getting hired full time by any of the commercial EMS agencies in the Hudson Valley with no experience? I have no problem doing transports until I have put in enough time to work on a 911 rig. I know I am more than likely looking at $11.00 to start, but how much OT can a newbie expect? I know MLSS full timers work 4 12 hour shifts a week but I have heard from people in my class that some guys work an extra 12 hour shift every week. I value the info from my classmates but most of them are volunteers. I am looking for info from any paid EMTs. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. I remember that thread from a few months ago, lots of good info there. However, right now I am most curious about how much OT is realistically available for a new guy.

If you are doing transports you probably wont see much OT. On a side note, Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Get your EMT and get hired first.

You can not, ever, count on OT. It ebbs an flows, comes and goes. Even at MlSS where 8 hrs of your regular work week is OT, I would count that as part of your regular pay check. Other "true" OT is just that, extra pay, put it in the bank, use it as "mad money" if you are young enough and don't have a family, morgage etc. Don't ever count on it. If you want a reliable source of extra income do what the rest of us have done over the years, get a second part-time or per-diem job with another company. Just beware of "THE TRAP" the more you have, the more you want, the more you work, the more you have........

Edited by Ga-Lin

Thanks for the reply. I remember that thread from a few months ago, lots of good info there. However, right now I am most curious about how much OT is realistically available for a new guy.

Mobile Life guarantees 5-8 hours of OT a week for full time employees, no idea on Emstar. Any reason you're looking to go commercial though, there are several VACs in Orange County with their own paid staff. I.E. Town of Wallkill, Port Jervis, New Windsor, Town of Highlands, Blooming Grove. Out of that list, Blooming Grove requires experience, but other than that you should be able to go on the VACs website (Orange County Civil Service for Highlands) and fill out an application for paid employee.

Mobile Life guarantees 5-8 hours of OT a week for full time employees, no idea on Emstar. Any reason you're looking to go commercial though, there are several VACs in Orange County with their own paid staff. I.E. Town of Wallkill, Port Jervis, New Windsor, Town of Highlands, Blooming Grove. Out of that list, Blooming Grove requires experience, but other than that you should be able to go on the VACs website (Orange County Civil Service for Highlands) and fill out an application for paid employee.

You just need to be careful about MLSS. From what I understand, MLSS now forbids you from working for a competitor. That's just about anyone in Orange county, EMSTAR, and maybe anyone in the HVREMSCO region.

Thanks for the responses. I know better than to spend my money as if OT is part of regular steady income. I have a friend who got way in over his head in debt doing that. I would gladly work for a VAC, I just heard its easier to get on with a commercial EMS agency until I get some experience.

Yeah, now that TOWVAC is ALS, they have an EMStar medic ride with their paid crew. EMStar also runs ALS backup for the town if needed.

You just need to be careful about MLSS. From what I understand, MLSS now forbids you from working for a competitor. That's just about anyone in Orange county, EMSTAR, and maybe anyone in the HVREMSCO region.

Not sure that's true. I know at least one person who works both Blooming Grove and Mobile Life.

Yeah, now that TOWVAC is ALS, they have an EMStar medic ride with their paid crew. EMStar also runs ALS backup for the town if needed.

TOWVAC is not ALS, yet, they are still applying/going through the certification process to become an ALS agency. That's why the medics still have EMStar uniforms rather than Wallkill uniforms.

Ga-Lin, on 16 Mar 2014 - 11:14 PM, said:

Not sure that's true. I know at least one person who works both Blooming Grove and Mobile Life.

As far as I know it's only goes to eMstar not the volunteer ambulance that have ALS