Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest x2371

GPS Unit for cars

16 posts in this topic

I'm looking to get prices on GPS and hopefully put it in my chief's car. What is the best system or what units would I be looking for? Thanks

The best is factory installed, but beyond that I would go with a Garmin unit. I've tried others, doen't really compare. It'll run you close to 1,300 dollars

I agree, I've used the Garmin Street Pilot III for a couple of years now and it's great. Detailed maps of the area with all streets and roadways downloadable from your PC to a flash chip. It also works with the latest PC map programs, such as DeLorme Street Atlas.

Their latest top of the line is fully remote controlled.

http://www.garmin.com/products/sp330/

If you're familiar with eBay, I'd look there. You might find some pretty deep discounts on this stuff.

No disrepect, but shouldnt a chief know all the streets in his jurisdiction? I think GPS for a chiefs car would be a waste of money.

Not for my town it is for mutual aide. I know all the streets in my town but I can't say the same for my mutual aide departments

We use Magellan's--have no problems yet.

Do you have model #'s? Are they hand held or separate screen?

Do you have model #'s?  Are they hand held or separate screen?

Chief,

I think your pals at SSI / Rescuestuff can accomodate you. The Magellan units are great, we have them at Cortlandt VAC and hopefully we'll have it on E119 one of these days.

PM me if you need more info.

If it's going to cost around $1300. Why not look at a laptop with GPS, Mount the laptop in the car..

I use my laptop with GPS in the car all the time and love it.

No disrepect, but shouldnt a chief know all the streets in his jurisdiction? I think GPS for a chiefs car would be a waste of money.

GPS can provide coordinates for accurate Statflight LZ's, HazMat locations, et. too.

Ive been using the Garmin Street pilot 3 for a cpl of years its a great unit however if you need to map a location really really fast then you need to practice on it a bit before doing it because its tricky but yes i use one for my vehicle. It also has voice and its very cool about 800.00 dollars

I Picked up a garmin GPS Streetpilot 3 off ebay about 2 months ago for $375, I Love it and use it everyday

Pioneer makes a good in-dash mp3/CD/DVD/GPS that is accurate to within two or three feet. It has a computerized voice within it that tells you when and where to make your turns, and tells you when you have arrived at your destination, among other things. Because it's connected to the car stereo, you hear the voice from your vehicles stock speakers. It's a pretty good unit from what I'm told (an ex-captain in my department has one for the same purpose as P'Ville) and it will only run you about 3 or 4 hundred dollars.

A company called navman also makes a Very good GPS (better than the Garmin in my experiance) I have used it for about a year now with no problems. I work on the road and am going all over the place and its has not failed me.

http://www.navman.com/land/products/index.html

Magellen is pretty decent also. You can use them as someone said for plenty of things, but I can tell you this when you give your coordinates, it can be a pain depending on the CAD system to enter them in. Also what is important is to keep up on any updates for new streets and such.

I like the Magellan Roadmate 700. I use it at work, and if I had the extra cash, I would buy one for my POV.

I wish Magellan would come out with a "Public Safety Edition" though...more rugged and faster.

GPS are an essential tool for any response, IMO.