Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

New Rochelle Haz-Mat 6/7?

5 posts in this topic

what was the haz-mat in New Rochelle on 6/5? saw the pictures on the front page.

The incident was this morning, in the ballpark of 7-8AM (that's on Tuesday, 6/7/05). It had something to do with a package handled by a sanitation worker releasing vapors that caused burns to at least one patient. There were 5 patients transported to Sound Shore by Transcare (30-A2 I believe). I don't know about the injuries to the other patients other than the first, and I am not sure of the extent of any of them. 30-A1 (perhaps I have them backwards, whichever transported the 5 patients was not on the scene standing by, and vice versa) was standing by on the scene until released by 2302 around 9:30-10AM.

Eastchester VAC 57-B1 was relocated to NRFD station 3 (completed 3 jobs while in the city), Larchmont VAC (not sure of the exact unit or how many calls they did) was relocated to NRFD station 1.

Everything was semi-back-to-normal by about 10-10:30...

do they know what the vapors were?

I heard something along the lines of amonium hydroxilate, or something that sounded like that. I wouldn't quote me on that, and to be perfectly honest, whatever we were hearing, I'm not sure they knew exactly at the time anyway. Someone from New Rochelle perhaps...

Incident happened around 0830. Sanitation workers put package into garbage truck. Eastchester 57-B1 and Larchmont 66-A1 covered city of New Rochelle while 30-A1, A2 operated with NRFD. Units started clearing around 1045.