Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FFPCogs

New hydrant design

6 posts in this topic

Yes. Very well designed. Lots of internal features, including security features. Major advantage, no greasing, no painting. just flushing (for the plumbing) is all that is needed for annual maintenance.

Disadvantage, they are much more expensive than standard hydrants. Over the long run they will save money, but it may take 15 to 20 yrs to break even (not bad on a 50 - 75 yr life).

FFPCogs likes this

the Village of Croton has one at the DPW garage, it was put there to be a test.... seems ok... but to replace all ??? not worth the dollars.... my opinion.

Very interesting.......very. Open hydrants are a huge problem for us in the Bronx. Both water pressure and the public niusence. We've had stores flooded because kids opened the adjacent hydrant. It's amazing, the magnetic Custodian wrench necessary has been circumvented by the locals in many ways. It mind as we'll not be there.....

I'd like to know more about the wrench needed to open the hydrant. What's it look like? How can you manage a divicd that demands 3000 lbs of pressure....I'd like to know more.....

This has been floating around here for a LONG while. Long Beach has one too.

If you go their web site they show the opening tool. It is what looks like a 2' arm that uses leverage against a plunger on the hydrant.