Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Viper

Baptism by Fire: A New York Firefighter Confronts His First Test

11 posts in this topic

Excellent article about a rookie firefighter in FDNY.

In the hushed darkness of a chilly night, a fire truck carrying six men rolled toward its Brooklyn firehouse. They had just finished up at a women’s shelter, where steam wisping from an iron had set off an alarm. Not much to it. There had been a few other runs for Ladder Company 105 — a gas leak, a stuck elevator — but for Jordan Sullivan, another 15-hour shift was unspooling without what he so eagerly awaited.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/06/22/nyregion/rookie-new-york-firefighter-faces-first-test.html?smid=tw-nytimes&_r=2

SRS131EMTFF likes this

This article is a long read, but it is very accurate and really tells a great story. Ladder Co. 105 where this probie is assigned is a well regarded company, and you can see that the brothers there have continued the tradition of training their new members the right way.It brought back a lot of good memories when I was in his shoes. Man, would I love to trade places with him.

Well written, puts things into lay-mans terms nicely.

Can anybody post more information about a "blanket" the roof man is evaluating the need for? Are they dropping a tarp or something, or considering a water curtain?

KO Curtain. 2nd due roof man takes it to FP MD. I just wish some of you were able to see the forest through the trees. This story could have been told 600 times from the 2 proby classes before. This is just another story for the liberal agenda. I hope this guy is getting destroyed at work, rule number 1, never talk to the press. This guy took his hard work and effort and had it destroyed by the same news paper that supported the a****** that ruined his first attempt at the job.

Can anybody post more information about a "blanket" the roof man is evaluating the need for? Are they dropping a tarp or something, or considering a water curtain?

post-11-0-20431100-1366419832.jpg

This story could have been told 600 times from the 2 proby classes before. This is just another story for the liberal agenda. I hope this guy is getting destroyed at work, rule number 1, never talk to the press. This guy took his hard work and effort and had it destroyed by the same news paper that supported the a****** that ruined his first attempt at the job.

Ok, I get it, every proby class has a 36 year old proby priority hire making grabs of an infant during their first 10-75, totally normal and not extra ordinary or newsworthy in any way.

You would think you just take the positive press for once and move on...

Edited by SRS131EMTFF
SmokeyJoe, Ladder44 and M' Ave like this

He absolutely made a good grab and the comments that follow are not meant to distract from that in the least. With that said, this article in my opinion was more about serving the liberal agenda and highlighting not a great job by the firefighter but that these priority hires were not unjustified. The NYT is a liberal rag that was just waiting for an opportunity to highlight one of these priority hires to create the illusion that this was somehow beneficial to the city of New York and the FDNY. Sounds like FF Sullivan is up to the task but that does not mean all the other people handed the job are. These priority hires are a disgrace to those that earned their spot in not just the FDNY but in all similar circumstances in so many different occupations. Stop rewarding mediocrity and people will eventually have to work harder to gain what is rightfully earned. Hand outs will eventually destroy the country. The madness needs to stop.

wraftery and TimesUp like this

Nice picture of the probie sitting on the rig. Good story too. But the NYT should have a picture of the guy or gal who didn't get hired because of the lawsuit that brought about the priority hires.

M' Ave and Ladder44 like this

I am glad this guy is on the job, I know countless others who have been awarded the same opportunity from this last test that would have otherwise been too old. What you fail to see is that all they want to do is appeal to the liberal retarded masses. Oh everyone wants that good feeling inside when they see that some social plan did something good for those of color. Yet, these same people roll up the windows and lock the doors the second they get off the Deegan to get on the FDR. But you just want to see the trees not the forest.

Look, I'm an active and vocal member of Merit Matters, in the FDNY. I'm endlessly critical of the Vulcans, the judge in this case and the whole liberal agenda here. Guys got screwed and failures were rewarded.

However.....

Let's not allow the conversation about this article to focus on the negative here. There was little written about the lawsuit and the Priority Quota Hire. What the article did do is tell a really well worded story about a great save. It broke down the job of firefighting in a way that the general public can understand and it made us look good.....for a change. It highlighted the job, described it's difficulties and shed some light on our work ethic and devotion.

If these days of pension and union hatred and a world of people forgetting what firemen do.....

....I'll take the positive press.