Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjpinto

Pete Lund

10 posts in this topic

It is regret that this posting be made of the death of former

Lt. Pete Lund F.D.N.Y. who served at Rescue's 2,3 & 4.

Pete died of a fatal heart attack last night after fighting a

fire as a member of the Woodmere Fire Department.

Pete was an avid fire apparatus photographer who photos

were seen in Fire Apparatus Journal and Firehouse Magazine.

Rest in Peace

Deepest thoughts & sympathy to the Lund family.

Is this considered an LODD?

Heaven has one hell of a Fire Department!!!!! Rip Pete, you will be seriously missed brother!!!!!! :cry:

I am totally speechless.... You will always be RES2CUE LT to me. You were my inspiration to join the FD. All the good laughs and ride-a-long with Bronx R3 and Brooklyn R2. Most memorable Brooklyn "Box 927"

GOD BLESS YOU PETE!!!

5-5-5-5

My deepest condolences to LT. Lund's family, friends, the FDNY and all the departments he has been a part of. Very sad indeed.

My thoughts and prayers go to Lt Lund's family, friends as well as FDNY and Woodmere FD. RIP, Lieutenant.

Tribute by the NYTimes

June 16, 2005

A Veteran Firefighter Dies After a Blaze on Long Island

By THOMAS J. LUECK

A retired New York City fire lieutenant who, in a 30-year career, was cited repeatedly for bravery and who tirelessly searched for survivors after the 9/11 attack, died apparently of a heart attack on Tuesday night after putting out a blaze with a volunteer department on Long Island, the authorities said yesterday.

The firefighter, Lt. Peter B. Lund, 54, collapsed about 10 p.m. outside a home in Woodmere where he and his fellow volunteers, including his son, had extinguished an electrical fire. He was pronounced dead at St. John's Episcopal Hospital in Far Rockaway shortly before midnight.

Lieutenant Lund, who lived in Valley Stream, came from a family of dedicated firefighters. His father, a plumber who died at 97, served for 75 years as a volunteer with the Woodmere department, and was its chief for a time.

Lieutenant Lund, too, had been chief of the Woodmere department, from 1989 through 1991. He continued as a member of the squad after his retirement from the New York City force in 2003. He served for 35 years with the Woodmere Fire Department.

"He was the consummate firefighter," said George Laakso, the chief of the Woodmere department. "Whenever you went in a fire with him, you knew you were going to come out."

"He's one of those guys who do it like it's their life, it's in their blood," said Rick Velotti, 47, a volunteer with the neighboring Hewlett Bay Fire Department, and a friend of Mr. Lund's since childhood. "To him, a fire is a personal affront." 

In his three decades with the New York City Fire Department, Lieutenant Lund developed particular expertise in techniques of rescuing people trapped in collapsed buildings; he sometimes taught these techniques at firefighting seminars across the country. He was assigned to fire houses in Queens and Brooklyn, and was the second most senior officer at Rescue 2 in Crown Heights from 1995 until his retirement.

Department records show that he received 14 citations for bravery, 10 of them for extraordinary work by his unit, and 4 for personal acts of heroism.

In 1995, he was cited for the rescue of a 13-year-old girl who was unconscious and badly burned on the third floor of a burning building on Park Place. He reached the third floor through flames, extreme heat and heavy smoke on the floors below, the citation said, and continued alone up the building's precarious stairs after his partner's mask malfunctioned; ultimately, he saved the girl by breaking through a door that was blocked by her unconscious body.

Yesterday, former colleagues at Rescue 2 said that Lieutenant Lund had constantly sought out the most challenging assignments. They recalled his tireless performance at the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001, when he worked 24 hours searching for survivors in the wreckage, slept for 8 hours, and went back to work. Seven men from Rescue 2 were killed in the attack. 

"He had an absolutely phenomenal career. Any number of rescues," said Capt. Phil Ruvolo of Rescue 2. "I couldn't start the list where he was a hero."

Janon Fisher, in Woodmere, N.Y., and Ann Farmer, in Brooklyn, contributed reporting for this article.

I attended the Funeral Services for my longtime pal Pete Lund

with my 2nd Lt of E130.

If you could ever use the word AMAZING to describe a Funeral Service Pete's was the one.

You had well over a thousand Firefighters from various Departments on Long Island, FDNY R3, R2, R1, L120, Kentland FD in MD, Boston FD, Chicago FD, Illionis FD, and on...

It was a very sad day but the turnout of Firefighters I am sure made the Lund family so proud.

Signal 5-5-5-5 has been transmitted. God Bless you Pete!

I first heard of Pete Lund through RWC130, who always spoke so highly of him.

I was asbsolutely shocked to find out this occured when I returned from my vacation.

My prayers and condolences.