Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Izod Center Closing

4 posts in this topic

EAST RUTHERFORD New Jersey today abruptly pulled the plug on the 34-year-old state-owned Izod Center arena in the Meadowlands, citing $8.5 million in losses and mounting state subsidies.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015/01/its_official_izod_center_to_close_by_end_of_month.html

I was fortunate that the IZOD Center was a 10 minute drive from where I am.. However Im sad I shared a ton of great memories in that facility.. As new as the Prudential Center is I always liked the Izod Center better.

x635 likes this

I can't say I'm suprised. This was a long time coming. Football being the exception, I really think people these days prefer venues located much more central to the urban center. New venues like Barclays and Prudential match the convenience of The Garden in terms of transportation access and other amenities like food and such....

There's just too much competition for Izod.

x635 likes this

Yes, but for those of us in the north and west suburbs, the Izod Center was the closest, easiest and cheapest of the metro area's arenas to get to, at least for those who prefer to drive themselves and not be held captive by a train schedule or some such thing.

It was also the biggest of the five buildings. I don't care about luxury boxes and all the modern amenities that the newer places are loaded with. I have heard talk that the Nassau Coliseum will be renovated at some point, even though it's losing the Islanders next year. At least people on the Island still have a place like that to go to.

x635 likes this