Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
N1Medic

TransCare ambulance service facing 'payroll crisis'

6 posts in this topic

Would it not make sense to have a cash reserve or some sort of reserve fund in the event that something like this happens? Whether you need to pay the bills, pay the employees, or make an emergency repair/purchase, it makes sense to me to have a reserve fund for when you need it (i.e. Rainy Day Money!).

And wouldn't the actions of a company that consistently took out loans have a negative effect on the company's credit rating? I can understand it in the short term, especially when the loans are paid back on time and in full, but a consistent stream of loans to make every day expenses seems too risky to me.

But, what really irks me is the fact that, "it's not if they'll get paid, it's when..." is what the employees are being old. I don't know about you, but I can't go without a paycheck for an indefinite amount of time. I work, they give me a check; or at least that's how it's supposed to work. Has his been a problem with other private EMS agencies in the past (or present)? And why is this becoming a problem? I know most EMT's and medics won't walk away from the job as many of them love what they do for a living, but I most certainly would walk away if I didn't get my paycheck...and probably would take the company to court over it, too!

He also says in the article that "this is a method used by many ambulance companies to make sure they have enough cash to readily pay their bills." Is this accurate? Any idea of how many or what agencies might also engage in this practice. Like dwcfireman said, this seems quite risky and certainly is not a sound business process.

certainly is not a sound business process.

You are implying that this is a sound business in the first place, which it is not at all. Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement is a joke a best. An ambulance could do 30 billable runs a day but if they are all Medicare/Medicaid, no one will know when they will get reimbursement or how much. Could be 30% 2 weeks later, could be 10% 3 months later, literally no one knows, it is all based on Medicare/Medicaid how much reimbursement they are willing to pay for whatever you have done. I know we currently are at 22% of our fee is reimbursed by Medicare/Medicaid. If you are lucky, you have a patient with private insurance, maybe then, after arguing with the insurance company about how much reimbursement they will pay will you actually see reimbursement rate anywhere north of 50%.

As recently as last week, I was told to wait until 2pm on Friday to deposit the paycheck. I had to wait 2 weeks for them to order new defib pads so that they could ensure that they were going to make payroll.

However when dealing with companies that would rather pay $1000 for a tow job 50 miles than take the rig out of service for a day to replace a $150, you can see how in the end, it is all really just F'ed.

velcroMedic1987 and Dinosaur like this

What is really sad is that we will pay $1000 to tow that ambulance back to the shop. However you can provide passionate care and medical services to a human and then "tow" (transport) that person to the hospital and it will take 6 months to get paid because you have to invoice 2 to 3 different insurance companies and if your lucky, you might collect $150.