Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Old Mount Vernon FD Snorkel 1

20 posts in this topic

What ever became of the Old Mount Vernon Fire Department Snorkel 1? If I remember Correctly, it was the only active "Snorkel Unit" active in Westchester County. What did FDMV do with it? And, why did they abandon the idea of having a Snorkel in Mount Vernon? (I am not sure, but does a Snorkel have other applications that both a Straight Stick and a Tower Lader don't?). Any and all information on the Old FDMV Snorkel 1 (Photos would be TERRIFIC as well), please let us know.

snorkel 1 was a very active piece in the MV inventory- because it was in service for so many years I would't be wrong by saying that it saw more fire than most apparatus in westchester,at the time of retirement it was believed that it was going to the dominican republic. the snorkel gave us the advantage of fighting fires where wires weree a concern,it was also a great when we had a storefront or more burning because the bucket could be put right on the sidewalk and knock down some heavy fire. the snorkel was a tricky unit to use,you really had to have it together when operating the bucket because the "joystick" was touchy. many of the senior guys that were assigned to the unit knew the best way of operating it,driver it was another story-the turning radius was not good so you had to often make wide swings when responding and really be used to driving it. many times I feel that the snorkel was missed at recent fires especially when you go to the surround and drown mode which happens often in MV>

Was not the only snorkel in westchester Bedford Hills FD had a snorkel as well Verplanck

Hudson 144, In addition to over and around wires I remember conversations that back when it was purchased that it was also had the ability to go below street level in the New Haven Railroad cut as well.

Also Scarsdale.

Although I understand the limitations and expertise needed to learn how to drive a Snorkel Unit within a City Environment, you would think that with the advantages that clearly outweigh the disadvantages, that more cities in Westchester County (such as Mount Vernon [who had one], Yonkers, New Rochelle and White Plains) would have a Snorkel Unit among its fleet.

Millwood also has a Snorkel. Its still in service. Orignaly TS2, now E245

Given some of the Narrow Streets and Confined Spaces that the Ladder Trucks in both Yonkers and Mount Vernon have to work in, a Snorkel Truck might be a good idea. Yes, it is NOT the easiest rig to drive, but after getting the hang of it, I am sure that such a rig would come in handy (even better than the Tower Ladders that both Yonkers and Mount Vernon are currently using). Maybe spliting them in both cities (1 Tower Ladder and 1 Snorkel) would be something to consider. Any thoughts?

FDMV's Snorkel 1 was not as versatile as you might think. It was big and bulky and often times a 2nd ladder had to be called to jobs to raise it's stick.

Snorkel 1 was purchased in the mid 70's after Mayor Tom Sharpe was "upset" when the Pelham Manor Tower was set up at a 5 bagger on the corner of N. 3rd Ave and E. Prospect Ave. He wanted to know why FDMV did not have one.....the rest is history.

BTW - FDMV Snorkel 1 (which was really County Snorkel #3) was actually a QUINT: aerial device, ground ladders, pumped (1250 GPM) carried hose and water.

snorkel 1 was a very active piece in the MV inventory- because it was in service for so many years I would't be wrong by saying that it saw more fire than most apparatus in westchester,at the time of retirement it was believed that it was going to the dominican republic. the snorkel gave us the advantage of fighting fires where wires weree a concern,it was also a great when we had a storefront or more burning because the bucket could be put right on the sidewalk and knock down some heavy fire. the snorkel was a tricky unit to use,you really had to have it together when operating the bucket because the "joystick" was touchy. many of the senior guys that were assigned to the unit knew the best way of operating it,driver it was another story-the turning radius was not good so you had to often make wide swings when responding and really be used to driving it. many times I feel that the snorkel was missed at recent fires especially when you go to the surround and drown mode which happens often in MV>

hudson144 do you remember snorkel1's first workig fire?

The Snorkel was a 1978 that was bought new. Went into service either late '78 or early '79, so the first job had to be around then.

If I had to guess, I would say that the Old FDMV Snorkel 1's first real "Big Job" in Mount Vernon, would have been the Fire on 4th Avenue and 1st Street, that took out the Old Fanny Farmer Candy Store, Old Bee Hive Restaurant, and the Old Pool Hall? Am I right?

hudson144 do you remember snorkel1's first workig fire?

SNORKEL 1 FIRST WORKING FIRE WAS AN APT HOUSE ON THE CORNER OF S.FULTON AVE & BEEKMAN AVE. BEFORE IT WENT INTO SERVICE. THE GROUPS WHERE STILL TRAINING ON IT. F.F. JOE MILES DROVE IT TO THE SCENE. HE WAS PROMOTED YEARS LATER TO BE COME THE 1ST BLACK OFFICER IN MVFD HISTORY. THIS WAS ALSO THE FIRE WERE VOL. D.C. AL BACH HAD HIS HEART ATTACK.

Snorkels were NOT very versatile, indeed. While it may have had reached 85' in height, it would only extend away from the truck the length of it's upper boom- 40' or so- and that's with the lower boom fully raised. Therefore, unless the fire is in an "on the street" taxpayer, the snorkel couldn't reach the fire building. It's all got to do with angles, fellas. Also, the American LaFrance snorkel I'm familiar with could not operate below grade. The lower boom could reach an angle of 95 degrees at best, which would only allow the bucket to rest on the ground alongside the truck. Another disadvantage is the lack of an aerial ladder. Some "aerial towers" allow for a steady flow of evacuees coming down the ladder, whereas a snorkel could only remove as many civilians as could fit in it's bucket. Try telling the lady in the window you'll be right back after you drop off the other civilians on the ground. "I promise it won't get too hot while I'm gone..."

I did think one joy in operating the snorkel was the joy stick bucket control which allowed the operator to control all movements with a single control.

.....and does anybody remember the tennis ball that was painted orange and suspended from the lower boom in front of the windshield so that the driver could judge his distance ?

SNORKEL 1  FIRST WORKING FIRE WAS AN APT HOUSE ON THE CORNER OF S.FULTON AVE & BEEKMAN AVE. BEFORE IT WENT INTO SERVICE. THE GROUPS WHERE STILL TRAINING ON IT. F.F. JOE MILES DROVE IT TO THE SCENE. HE WAS PROMOTED YEARS LATER TO BE COME THE 1ST BLACK OFFICER IN MVFD HISTORY. THIS WAS ALSO THE FIRE WERE VOL. D.C. AL BACH HAD HIS HEART ATTACK.

Hey FP310, do you know who the youngest Firefighter in FDMV History was to be Promoted to Lieutenant? :rolleyes:

Hey FP310, do you know who the youngest Firefighter in FDMV History was to be Promoted to Lieutenant? :rolleyes:

YES I DO !

JIMMY LANG AT AGE 24

The Snorkel was a 1978 that was bought new.  Went into service either late '78 or early '79, so the first job had to be around then.

hey cam ask your dad i bet he knows he was the dispatcher that nite

SNORKEL 1  FIRST WORKING FIRE WAS AN APT HOUSE ON THE CORNER OF S.FULTON AVE & BEEKMAN AVE. BEFORE IT WENT INTO SERVICE. THE GROUPS WHERE STILL TRAINING ON IT. F.F. JOE MILES DROVE IT TO THE SCENE. HE WAS PROMOTED YEARS LATER TO BE COME THE 1ST BLACK OFFICER IN MVFD HISTORY. THIS WAS ALSO THE FIRE WERE VOL. D.C. AL BACH HAD HIS HEART ATTACK.

way to go fp joe miles was one dynamite guy i know he is in the big firehouse in the sky god bless him

A great guy indeed that Joe Miles..I good friend of mine would have never gotten the job in Mt. Vernon if it wasn't for all the work Joe put in refining the hiring practices of the FDMV...