Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
N1Medic

Governor Cuomo signs Police Dog EMS Bill

9 posts in this topic

This new law found in General Municipal Law (GML) authorizes Paramedics and EMTs to transport injured police work dogs to appropriate facilities provided that there are no persons requiring medical attention or transport at such time

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?default_fld=&bn=S04990&term=&Summary=Y&Actions=Y&Votes=Y&Memo=Y&Text=Y

Hopefully some basic K-9 first aid equipment and training can be facilitated by EMS agencies. I have photos of one of these kits from an EMS agency in Texas, just got to find what I did with them....

Does this mean there is now a legal obligation to transport injuried K-9s provided there are no patients present?

What happens if transport of a K-9 is initiated but an actual patient becomes sick or injured?

Who should the transporting agency bill regarding K-9 transport? (Medicare/Medicaid will not cover it)

Does this mean there is now a legal obligation to transport injuried K-9s provided there are no patients present?

What happens if transport of a K-9 is initiated but an actual patient becomes sick or injured?

Who should the transporting agency bill regarding K-9 transport? (Medicare/Medicaid will not cover it)

Language reads "may transport" not "must transport"

Dispatch next due

The douche bag that hurt the canine OR the law enforcement agency that the canine is part of OR do the right thing and get the dog who would take a bullet for its handler or any other person it is engaged to protect for that matter, to a facility that can help it and forget about the bill.

x635 likes this

Absolutely agree, mfc2257!

K-9 Dogs ARE Police Officers.

Dispatch next due

Let me rephrase my question: Does the transport of a K-9 over ride the existing duty to act? For example in an shooting, a K-9 gets injured and EMS begins transport of the K-9, if another person get injured on scene, does the EMTs existing duty to act over ride the K-9 on which he has no legal duty?

The douche bag that hurt the canine OR the law enforcement agency that the canine is part of OR do the right thing and get the dog who would take a bullet for its handler or any other person it is engaged to protect for that matter, to a facility that can help it and forget about the bill.

The "douche bag" only has a legal obligation to compensate victims of his crime after a court has told him to do so, the bill does not go away in that time. Does the law enforcement agency have a insurance policy or reimburcement plan for the animal? "Doing the right thing" does not pay the bills. I am not advocating against EMS transporting police K-9. What I am arguing is that these things need to be considered and planned for before saying "ok now you can transport K-9s".

Here is another question: Whose gives consent for the dog? Handler, PD Chief, IC?

Edited by SRS131EMTFF

It amazes me how topics that should generate no controversy, still manage to do so.

AFS1970 likes this

It amazes me how topics that should generate no controversy, still manage to do so.

I am sorry for generating controversy. I simply am trying to determine a EMS providers legal duty to a K-9 patient.

I am sorry for generating controversy. I simply am trying to determine a EMS providers legal duty to a K-9 patient.

The Statute itself addresses this only applies in cases where no others require transport. As for your comments regarding who should pay the bill:

"Does the law enforcement agency have a insurance policy or reimburcement plan for the animal? "Doing the right thing" does not pay the bills.

Sometimes in emergency services you do the right thing, because it's the right thing to do. And why do you think the handler or the police chief would have any issues regarding providing consent to transport an injured work dog to an appropriate facility. Most of us in law enforcement know that many of these dogs are shot, stabbed and killed every year to avoid sending humans into dangerous situations. Around police departments, these K9's are invaluable and treated as such. If the situation every presents itself, just let them know in advance that you need to know who will be "paying the bill." I'm sure law enforcement will make other arrangements as to not cut into your budget. I've been so lucky to work both as a Paramedic and LEO in agencies that work so well together that these problems would never arise. I'm sorry to hear that's not the case everywhere.

x635 likes this