Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

The Call Volume Of Yonkers FD Battalions

3 posts in this topic

Over the past few months, I've gotten into my scanning hobby again. I listen to Yonkers 24/7.

One thing I hear constantly is the 2 Battalion Chiefs running constantly. And if their is a fire, one of the Battalions is assigned as Safety.

I know a couple of years ago, Yonkers had a Safety Battalion. Was that cut due to budget issues?  I'd love to see a Battalion 3, in my opinion the call volume of the Battalion Chief necessitates it. I'm wondering if there is a request in the current budget, or if there are plans to bring back the Safety Battalion or add another Battalion to the city at some point.

It's got to be a tiring job being a Yonkers Battalion Chief, running all over the city for most of your shift going to incidents, plus all the administrative stuff and paperwork they have to do when they actually get a chance to get back to quarters. Someone who has firefighter's live's in their hands should be appropriately rested and prepared.

AFS1970, mamaro40 and JOB114 like this

And again today Yonkers FD Battalions are running around like crazy to legit jobs....Battalion 3 had to be placed into service.  Yonkers also had to use an Engine Company (312) as Safety at a fire scene because Battalion 1 was on another job and couldn't free up. A Safety or Battalion 3 could have solved this and kept an Engine in service.

nydude2473 likes this

What types of calls does Yonkers dispatch BC's to ? At my job our BC is only sent to structure fires, extrixations, Hazmat and any other type of call requiring a safety officer.