Pleasantville_165

February 3rd 2015 - Valhalla Railroad Crash Operations Audio Recordings

5 posts in this topic

I am looking for a source for recordings of emergency operations radio communications from the Valhalla railroad grade crossing crash on February 3rd, 2015 for a project I am doing on ICS. Although I have some audio and at least partial transcripts or abstracts of some of the other communications, I would like to hear the audio if possible. Unfortunately, Broadcastify archives only go back 180 days.     

What I have:

• 60-Control 46.26 dispatch from first Valhalla tone-out at 18:29 up to Tower Ladder 1 called at 18:52  
  • Mount Pleasant Police from the first dispatch of the incident- "Car Five-Oh" at 18:26 for an "explosion on the tracks" up to about 1930 hrs. 

What I would like from 1825 hrs 02/03/2015 through end of operations (though most importantly, 1825-1930):

• A real interesting recording to have would be Metro-North on 161.28 even going back as far as 1745 hrs- if anyone has it captured and accessible.
  • Fire 11 
  • Fireground 8 458.9875
  • County P.D. on 155.310 
  • The remainder of 46.26 dispatch and MPPD 

Thank you for your help. 

I believe you can FOIL request most of these.  With the exception of the firegrounds, which are local non-repeated channels, you should be able to get most of that stuff.

I already tried, thank you.  

One would think that such material is public via FOIL, especially to an active firefighter for a fire science study related to ICS and high severity-low frequency incidents, but some others beg to differ, MTA included. I have had no luck on the audio itself, even though I made it clear that I was looking for dispatch media and not recordings of 9-1-1 calls. However, I did get some transcripts and other related dispatch documents through FOIL and through the cooperation of certain officials, who unfortunately do not have dispatch recordings readily available. I also have anything released by NTSB to date. 

Edited by Pleasantville_165

It maybe very difficult to get what your requesting due to the on going lawsuit pending .

fdalumnus likes this

Understood, and that is what I have been facing. Since I am not an established media organization, nor a university, this research has had its challenges.  

One way to obtain them would be through the assistance of anyone who may have personally archived the feed files from a site like RadioReference/Broadcastify before they aged off the server.