x635

Norwalk police retire Harleys for lighter, cooler BMW bikes

5 posts in this topic

This is why the bikes are popular in Texas and California.

NORWALK — Out with the Harleys, in with the Beemers.

The Norwalk Police Department has traded in two Harley-Davidsons used by Traffic Enforcement officers for what police described as the worldwide gold standard in police motorcycles.

http://www.thehour.com/news/article/Norwalk-police-retire-Harleys-for-lighter-cooler-9964446.php#photo-11408960

Not cooler to me either, looks they're sitting on a Star Wars Stormtrooper's helmet.

i remember when many departments switched from Harleys to Kawasakis (remember CHiPs). They were supposed to be the wave of the future. They didn't hold up with the NY roads and it turned out there was defect that  killed a few CHP Officers.

Good luck I hope they work out for you. 

I think we're misinterpreting the word "cooler" here.... Air cooled Harley FLH-P's are inherently hot bikes to ride in stop/go and low speed traffic.  The water cooled BMW is just that... cooler.

I've have had the pleasure to ride an FLH-P as well as multiple BMW's including a civilian version of the R1200.  Each bike has its ups and downs.  If doing a lot of highway riding I'd much prefer the Harley.  If working in an urban environment I'd prefer the BMW for its nimble capabilities.

x635 likes this